The WVU Department of Otolaryngology hosted the annual Phillip Sprinkle Alumni Educational Conference for this year at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel and Conference Center, on June 10, 2017. Hassan Ramadan, M.D. served as course director for this CME event that was attended by over 50 medical doctors and advanced practice providers. Deanna Dalton and Kim Lanham served as course coordinators for the event.
The special guest speaker for the conference was the chair of the Department of Otolaryngology at Buffalo State University, David Sherris, M.D., who gave two well-received presentations entitled “Should Anyone Do a Mini-Facelift” and “Injectables for Facial Rejuvenation.”
In addition to the special guest speaker, the conference also included presentations by Jordan Cain, M.D. from Ames, Iowa, as well as Stephen Wetmore, M.D. and Steven Coutras, M.D. from WVU. The event’s educational activities also included 11 resident research presentations, as well as panel discussion sessions for rhinology, head and neck and otology. Guest panelists for the three discussion sessions included:
Jeffrey Baker, M.D. from Great Falls, Montana; Justin Douglas, M.D. from Ronceverte, West Virginia; Dr. Jonathan Wu from Fort Worth, Texas; Chadi Makary, M.D. from Martinsburg, West Virginia; Adam Cassis, M.D. from Morgantown, West Virginia; Marcus Shaffer, M.D. from Charleston, West Virginia; Stephen Wetmore, M.D. from Morgantown, West Virginia; Brian Kellermeyer, M.D. from Morgantown, West Virginia; Hassan Arshad, M.D. from Buffalo, New York; Rick Fornelli, M.D. from Erie, Pennsylvania; Andrew Terrell, M.D. from Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and, Jeffson Chung, M.D. from Morgantown, West Virginia.
Following the completion of the educational activities for the Phillip Sprinkle Alumni Educational Conference, the Department hosted their annual education banquet at the same location. Over 125 guests attended the dinner and awards ceremony, where the following Department members were honored with awards:
- Hassan Ramadan, M.D. – 25 Years of Service Award
- George Spirou, Ph.D. – 25 Years of Service Award
- Michael Hurst, M.D. -- 25 Years of Service Award
- Tanya Fancy, M.D. -- AY2017 Departmental Teaching Award
- Sohrab Shahab -- AY2017 Departmental Teaching Award
- Hope Jordan – AY2017 Departmental Service Award.
- Scott Shapiro, M.D. -- Touma Foundation Award for achieving 1st place in the Resident Research Competition
- Habib Zalzal, M.D. – Fortunata Lim Award for achieving 2nd place in the Resident Research Competition
- Alex Limjuco, M.D. -- Sobisca S. Hall Award for achieving 3rd place in the Resident Research Competition
The full day CME event was well received by all of the participants, and was the largest Educational Conference ever hosted by the Department.