The WVU Dialectical Behavior Therapy Services Program (DBTSP) is a mission-driven organization that aims to empower people to improve their lives through the technology of behavioral change. Our program has three primary missions: Clinical Service; Promotion of Science; and Treatment Dissemination.
The WVU DBTSP will provide the highest quality, compassionate, evidence-based treatment for life-threatening, high-risk behaviors in people with complex psychiatric disorders and conditions. All services will honor the following goals of DBT:
- Enhance and maintain patients' motivation for change
- Enhance and maintain patients' skills and capabilities
- Enhance and maintain therapists' motivation to treat patients
- Enhance and maintain therapists' skills
- Structure the treatment environment to be conducive to behavioral change
Promotion of Science
The WVU DBTSP will contribute to the advancement of scientific research pertaining to:
- DBT and other forms of CBT
- Understanding and reducing risk for life-threatening behaviors
- Understanding and reducing risk for complex psychiatric disorders and conditions
- Developing and enhancing human psychological and emotional resilience
The WVU DBTSP will contribute to the dissemination of DBT and other evidence-based cognitive-behavioral therapies by providing training and consultation to healthcare providers and trainees in healthcare settings.