As a university-based clinical department in the School of Medicine, the Department of Emergency Medicine's mission is to provide comprehensive, high quality, efficient, technically advanced "state of the art" emergency care to the people of West Virginia. This is achieved through the following:
- Integration of timely, pre-hospital care, rapid triage, expeditious resuscitation and stabilization, and appropriate disposition of all patients.
- Education of medical students, residents, faculty and other health professionals in emergency medicine.
- The provision of supportive and consultative services to rural emergency departments and systems.
- Research in rural emergency medicine, injury control and related topics.
- The establishment and enhancement of courses dedicated to continuing professional education.
- Ongoing improvement in patient management, communications, and health care delivery.