Culinary Medicine Interest Group
Description of Goals, Purpose, and Activities
The primary goal would be to foster healthy eating habits and nutrition in the student bodies of the HSC schools in addition to arming them with knowledge they can apply in their future practices.
In pursuit of this end, we hope to organize monthly meetings focused around hands-on cooking opportunities with guest lectures. We have begun to liaise with local resources including: WVU Dietician and Nutrition program, Alumni Center Kitchen, and local businesses. Some topics we would like to address would be specialty diets for chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, and obesity, and ways to eat, and cook, healthier in a more inexpensive manner since the cost of eating healthy is a common barrier to patients.
Article I - Organization
The name of this organization shall be: MedChef Morgantown
Article II - Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be: promoting awareness and fostering interest in living a healthy lifestyle through culinary medicine education and preparing members to apply this education in their professional practice.
***Article III - Membership
Section 1: The voting membership of this organization shall be limited to organization members who are WVU students of one the schools within the Health Sciences Center (Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Nursing).
Section 2: This organization will not deny membership on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, color, or national origin.
Article IV - Officers
(Election, Term, Qualification, etc.)
Section 1. The offices of this organization shall be: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary.
Section 2. All elected officers shall serve on the Executive Board.
Section 3. Members of the Executive Board can create and remove officer positions as the need arises.
The duties of each officer shall be:
- The President shall preside at meetings; be the spokesperson for the Culinary Medicine Interest Group both within and outside the university community; and serve as chairman of the Executive Committee.
- The Vice President shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee; serve as acting President if the President is unavailable temporarily at meetings or events, or in the event of the resignation or removal of the President
- The Treasurer shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee and handle all monetary matters relating to the Culinary Medicine Interest Group. The treasurer will determine the financial monetary allocation that can be donated to individual meetings and events and will determine the need for monetary dues from group members (not to exceed $10.00 per year). All financial expenditures will be recorded by the treasurer and reported to the WVU Department of Student Services. The Treasurer will serve as acting President if the residing President and Vice President are unavailable/resigned from the position. If both the President and the Vice President have resigned/been removed from office, it will be the job of the Treasurer to hold immediate officer meeting. If the Treasurer is not elected to either of these spots, he/she shall continue to serve as Treasurer until the expiration of his/her regular term. If he/she is elected to serve either as President or Vice President, then a special election shall be held to elect a Treasurer to fill the unexpired term for the Treasurer.
- The Secretary shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee; prepare meeting agendas; keep minutes of the Culinary Medicine Interest Group meetings; and be responsible for DIG correspondence between members. In the event of the resignation or removal of the President, Vice President, and Treasurer, the Secretary will serve as acting President and will hold immediate officer elections. If the Secretary is not elected to either of these spots, he/she shall continue to serve as Secretary until the expiration of his/her regular term. If he/she is elected to serve either as President or Vice President, then a special election shall be held to elect a Secretary to fill the unexpired term for the Secretary.
- Other officer positions and chairperson positions will be created or taken away at the discretion of the Executive Board, pending need.
***Section 4. To hold an elected, or appointed office in this organization, a member must be passing or have at least a 2.5 GPA at the time of election or appointment, and must be a full-time student. Furthermore, the member may not be on academic or disciplinary probation.
Artical V - Removal of Officers
Section 1. Any member may make a motion for the removal of any officer providing that evidence is presented to support the removal. Grounds for removal include the inadequate fulfillment of duties or the violation of regulations described in University policies, or any federal, state, or local laws.
- A majority vote from student members is required to remove an officer.
- The motion for removal must be submitted to and approved by the Faculty Advisors before becoming effective.
- An election for a new officer should be conducted at the next scheduled business meeting.
Article VI - Special WVU Requirements
We agree to abide by all West Virginia University, School of Medicine as well as all West Virginia University policies, in addition to all federal, state, and local laws. We agree to communicate all required information to the West Virginia University Department of Student Services as requested.
Article VII - Meetings
Section 1. Regular meetings of the organization shall be held once per calendar month.
Section 2. Special meetings may be called by the organization’s President.
Section 3. Quorum shall be constituted by a vote constituting two-thirds of the members.
Article VIII - Parliamentary Authority
Section 1. Parliamentary Authority will follow The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.
Article IX - Amendments (Methods)
Section 1. An amendment proposed by a member will be passed after acquiring three-quarters of the votes of the organization’s members.
2016 - 2017 Organization Officers
- Kathryn Baker - email@example.com
- Kristin Hardy - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristin Davis - email@example.com
- Megan Govindan MPH, MS, RD, LD - Megan.Govindan@mail.wvu.edu
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.