Obstetrics and Gynecology Interest Group
The Ob/Gyn Interest Group was originally formed in 2004 and was later revived in the fall of 2006. The goal of this group is to expose students to the diverse aspects and benefits of Obstetrics and Gynecology. By giving them an early insight into this specialty well before their clinical years, we hope to provide opportunities and to help lay groundwork for students interested in pursing a career in Ob/Gyn.
Meetings are held twice a semester featuring various activities and speakers and we will hold one workshop during the year to demonstrate and learn skills needed in the specialty. Students will also be given the opportunity to deliver a baby and participate in cesarean sections or other surgeries.
The Ob/Gyn Interest Group serves to introduce medical students to the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology and provide opportunities for those wishing to pursue a career in the field.
We hope to accomplish our mission by:
- providing a meeting place for teaching, learning, and discussion of issues relating to Ob/Gyn
- promoting professional relationships between medical students, residents, and attendings.
- exploring Ob/Gyn as a career by comparing and contrasting it to different specialties, learning about different subspecialties within Ob/Gyn, and discussing malpractice issues pertaining to the field
- exposing students to shadowing opportunities and participation in gyn surgeries, cesarean sections, and delivering babies
- participating in training workshops involving suturing and knot tying, ultrasound, and childbirth
- provide opportunities for community service
- providing opportunities to participate in research projects/externships
- Any student currently enrolled in the West Virginia University School ofMedicine is eligible for membership.
- The Ob/Gyn Interest Group will meet twice each semester during the school year, and more often if deemed necessary by the members.
- The Ob/Gyn Interest Group will be governed by an elected body of medical students consisting of a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. Officers will be elected at the last meeting of each year by members of the interest group.
- The Ob/Gyn Interest group will work closely with the Ob/Gyn residents and faculty sponsors in the Department of Ob/Gyn.
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- WVU Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Camille Leon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilary Brownstead - email@example.com
Erin Gray - firstname.lastname@example.org
George Raineri - email@example.com
Dr. Shon Rowan, MD - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to contact any of the officers or the faculty sponsor with any questions you may have or suggestions that may better the Ob/Gyn Interest Group.
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.