Of the Mindful Physician:
an Arts and Humanities Interest Group
The humanities: The humanities can be described as the study of how people process and document the human experience. (Stanford University)
Exploring the interactions between medicine and the arts and humanities to highlight ways that these interactions can affect how patients and physicians approach each other and how they can benefit both of us.
- Enable students to appreciate that partaking of the humanities may contribute to their wellness and that of their patients.
- Enable members to understand the social, economic, cultural and political contexts of healthcare approach and delivery.
- Provide a platform where students, physicians, patients and other participants in healthcare delivery can discuss important professional healthcare experiences.
- Enable members to appreciate that many things within the arts and humanities contribute to the identity of patients, ourselves, and coworkers.
- Encourage self-reflection of members' perspectives on approaching and delivering healthcare.
- Encourage volunteering within the wider medical community.
- Of the Mindful Physician is a non-profit, volunteer-run student organization at the West Virginia University School of Medicine dedicated to integrating the arts and humanities into students’ experiences in healthcare.
- Topics covered will range from literature, art, addiction, diseases, religion, music, history, poetry, domestic violence et al.
- Any student or faculty at West Virginia University is eligible for membership.
- Officers shall include the president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, and community service chair. Elections will be held in the spring of each year to decide the upcoming officers.
- Meetings will be student led and overseen by the officers who will work closely with a faculty advisor who understands the goals of OMP and is committed to the achievement of its goals.
- Meetings will be held as available during the school year.
- Participation during meetings will be highly encouraged.
- Ogaga Urhie - email@example.com
- Sneha Gupta - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jess Biagiotti - email@example.com
Abhishek Yadav - firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Service Chair
Josh Zegeer - email@example.com
- Brian Quigley, M.D. (Psychiatry) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.