Wilderness Medical Interest Group
This organization shall exist for the following purposes
- To facilitate interdisciplinary interaction among students and faculty expressing interests in issues relating to health and the wilderness
- To provide a forum for speakers to present topics of interest to the general membership
- To provide a forum for interaction between the national organization of the Wilderness Medical Society and members of the Student Interest Group
- To act as an information and referral resource to members pursuing careers in areas related to health and the wilderness
- To participate, when appropriate, in community projects or with other campus organizations on issues relevant to wilderness medicine
Meetings will be announced in the message of the week.
Dr. John Guilfoose
of the Wilderness Medical Society Student Interest Group at West Virginia University School of Medicine
Article I - Organization
Section 1: The official name of this organization shall be the Wilderness Medical Society Student Interest Group at West Virginia University .
Section 2: The group shall operate as a non-profit organization.
Section 3: The group shall abide by the applicable rules and policies of Office of Student Services pertaining to student organizations, and to the rules and policies of the Wilderness Medical Society.
Section 4: This organization shall exist for the following purposes:
- To facilitate interdisciplinary interaction among students and faculty expressing interests in issues relating to health and the wilderness.
- To provide a forum for speakers to present topics of interest to the general membership.
- To provide a forum for interaction between the national organization of the Wilderness Medical Society and members of the Student Interest Group.
- To act as an information and referral resource to members pursuing careers in areas related to health and the wilderness.
- To participate, when appropriate, in community projects or with other campus organizations on issues relevant to wilderness medicine.
Article II - Membership
Section 1: Membership is open to all students, faculty, and staff without regard to race, creed, color, gender, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, public assistance status, or religious or sexual orientation.
Section 2: Voting membership is open to all students, faculty, and staff at West Virginia University .
Section 3: No more than 1/3 of the voting membership shall consist of non-students.
Section 4: Membership in the Wilderness Medical Society is not a prerequisite for membership in the SIG, and all members of the SIG, whether individual members of WMS or not, enjoy equal rights and privileges in the SIG.
Section 5: Membership in the SIG may be defined as anyone who has submitted his/her name to the SIG and/or anyone who has attended an SIG event in the current or previous academic year.
Section 6: To be eligible to vote, a member must have attended at least two previous meetings as a non-voting participant within the current or previous academic year.
Article III - Officers
Section 1: The officers shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
Section 2: All officers must be currently enrolled students at West Virginia University and registered at least 1/2 time. Exceptions to this requirement are permitted for graduate/professional students upon receipt by the Student Organization Development Center of a letter from the Director of Graduate Studies of the student's department certifying that the student is actively pursuing a degree.
Section 3: Officers shall be elected during the May meeting and shall serve for a period of one year. Elected officers shall be elected by a majority among the two candidates receiving the largest plurality votes for each office. A quorum of fifty percent of the voting members plus one must be present for an election.
Section 4: The duties of the officers are as follows:
- President - Preside over all meetings of the Group, act as the official representative of the Group at meetings and events, act as liaison with the Wilderness Medical Society, update the Wilderness Medical Society with any changes in this office and with changes in mail/phone/e-mail contact information, and serve as chairperson of the Executive Committee.
- Vice President - Preside at meetings of the Group and the Executive Committee in the absence of the president, succeed the president if the president were unable to complete his/her term of office, act as coordinator of committees.
- Secretary - Record and produce minutes of all meetings, handle the Group's correspondence, advertising, and mailing. Maintain printed materials, newsletters, and journals provided by the national organization. Maintain current membership list.
- Treasurer - Handle all financial transactions of the Group, maintain thorough and accurate records of all transactions, coordinate membership for members seeking membership in the national organization, and produce financial reports as required by the Group.
Article IV - Committees
Section 1: The standing committees of this Group shall be:
- Executive Committee - Consists of elected officers and chairpersons of all committees. Sets meeting dates for Group, determines committee assignments, and acts on behalf of the special committees during the summer.
- Special committees may be established to carry out special assignments
Article V - Meetings
Section 1: A regular meeting shall be held once each month during the academic year. A special meeting may be called by the Executive Committee or by a petition of ten percent of the voting membership.
Section 2: A quorum shall be present in order to conduct official Group business. A quorum shall consist of fifty percent of the voting membership plus one.
Section 3: Decisions of the Group shall be enacted by a majority vote of the voting membership present, according to the guidelines of the national organization.
Section 4: Members shall be notified at least a week in advance of all meetings.
Article VI - Financial Matters
Section 1: The Group shall not provide monetary gain, incidentally or otherwise to its directors or membership. This does not restrict the payment of wages, salaries, or incentives by the Group for services rendered.
Section 2: Unless otherwise specified by the membership at the time of dissolution of the Group, residual assets shall be held in account by Office of Student Services, for future wilderness and health related activities.
Article VII - By-Laws
Section 1: By-laws may be proposed by the membership and may be adopted by a majority vote of those present at a meeting when a quorum is present upon approval from the national organization.
Article VIII - Amendments
Section 1: Amendments to the constitution may be proposed by any members of the Group. Such proposals shall be submitted in writing to the Executive Committee for a first reading to the membership at the regular meeting prior to the meeting at which the proposed amendment is to be voted on.
Section 2: Duly proposed amendments shall be submitted to a vote of the voting members providing a quorum is present. A two-thirds majority vote in favor, as well as approval by the national organization, shall be required for adoption of such amendment.
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.