LOCATION: Ruby Memorial Hospital, Department of Radiology
PRECEPTORS: Melinda K Smith, MD (Melinda.Smith@hsc.wvu.edu) &
Cara M Bryan, MD (Cara.Bryan@hsc.wvu.edu)
DURATION: 2 weeks maximum (Students limited to one 2 week rotation)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 8 students
In general, the student will be educated in considerable depth to use a variety of diagnostic imaging resources effectively as tools for their patients with current accepted best-practice guidelines. The student will have a comprehensive and intense two-week course of didactic instruction balanced with time in the exam and reading rooms that emphasizes acquisition of skills in professional communication, appropriate selection of imaging, imaging safety, and interpretation of imaging. This 2-week elective teaches the essentials of diagnostic imaging that all medical students should know.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
Professional level of participation in the following:
- Mandatory Online CORE Case work that is required (1-2 hours daily).
- Attendance in scheduled Radiologist-led teaching sessions/workshops.
- Attendance in assigned conferences (Radiology Resident or Multidisciplinary Conferences.
- Imaging Labs.
- Attendance in Radiology Clinics (Reading Rooms) as assigned with resident and faculty.
- Emergency Radiology on call 5-8 PM (once)
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
- The student must complete the mandatory assigned CORE Case Based Teaching modules.
- Regular attendance, professional attitude and behavior daily, and the quality of participation in assigned activities.
- Completion of required pre-test, mid-way practice exam, and Final exam (Standardized, Online).
- Preparation and presentation of an interesting case presentation.
- Final exam score and completion of required and optional work is basis of final grade.
Please contact Ms. Geraldine Sims (firstname.lastname@example.org) two weeks prior to rotation start date.
On first day of rotation, report to Room 2278, Health Sciences Center South, at 8:00 a.m.