Primary Care Clinical Sports Meicine
LOCATION: WVU Sports Medicine - University Town Center, Morgantown, WV
PRECEPTOR: Natasha Harrison, MD / Gaetano Monteleone, MD / Benjamin Moorehead, MD
DURATION: 2 weeks minimum
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
Many students feel that the musculoskeletal exam and treatment of musculoskeletal complaints are weak areas in their knowledge base. This elective will review all of the common joint examinations, as well as common conditions and their management, with a hands-on approach. The student will be able to see and evaluate patients first before presenting to the preceptor. There also will be one half day per week set aside for review of the joint exams. Both Dr. Harrison and Dr. Moorehead utilize ultrasound in diagnosis and, as appropriate, will demonstrate proper use of ultrasound in a musculoskeletal examination.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Daily time in an outpatient musculoskeletal clinic working with a fellowship-trained preceptor
- Didactic presentations one half-day per week on proper joint exams
- Provision of handouts on common musculoskeletal conditions
- "Ankle Comprehensive"
- "Common Lower Extremity Problems"
- "Common Upper Extremity Problems"
- "Hand and Finger Injuries"
- "Joint Injections"
- "Knee Comprehensive"
- "Radiographic Interpretation of Sports Medicine Injuries"
- "Shoulder Comprehensive"
- "Wrist Problems in Athletes"
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Daily observation and feedback. Oral testing with feedback. One written note per weekday for a patient seen by the student will be required and reviewed.
Contact Dr. Natasha Harrison two weeks prior to rotation start date. email@example.com