LOCATION: Wheeling Hospital - Wheeling, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Dr. Michael Zilles; Dr. Alan Tissenbaum
DURATION: 4 weeks minimum
OFFERED: By arrangement with preceptor
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
STATUS: Elective (can be scheduled as a rural community rotation)
- To expose the student to orthopedic medicine and surgery;
- To expose the student to orthopedic techniques and to evaluate and treat orthopedic cases;
- To expose the student to traction equipment and modalities currently used in physical therapy.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Student is assigned to one attending physician;
- Student takes histories, performs physical examinations on all patients to which the student is assigned, prescribes therapy and follow-up hospital care under preceptor's supervision;
- Student is first assistant on surgical procedures;
- Student will attend all orthopedic conferences, as well as other scheduled conferences in other specialties;
- Office experience when WVU School of Medicine is consulted according to curriculum.
Daily observation, both in the office and during surgical procedures, rounds, patient work-ups and examinations. Weekend Level II Trauma call on Dr. Caveney's trauma rotation.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE ROTATION START DATE CONTACT: Sarah Melanko, Residency Secretary. email@example.com or 304-243-3330.