Residents must demonstrate a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to a diverse patient population. Residents are expected to:
- Demonstrate respect, compassion, and integrity; a responsiveness to the needs of patients and society that supercedes self-interest with prompt response and accountability to calls from faculty and clinicians for anatomic and clinical pathology consultation, and while on-call.
- Exhibit a commitment to excellence and on-going professional development by utilizing study materials within the department including the slide file, the image database, books and journals for their own professional advancement.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ethical principles pertaining to the practice of pathology, confidentiality of patient information, informed consent, and business practices.
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior with the faculty, clinicians, peers, and the administrative, technical and clerical staff of the hospital.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to patients’ culture, age, gender, and disabilities.