Genetics / Metabolics
Holly Achee, MSW, LGSW
- Healthcare Social Worker, Pediatrics
Marybeth Hummel, MD
- Professor, Pediatrics
TaraChandra T.C. Narumanchi, MD
- Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
- Medical Secretary, Pediatrics
West Virginia Genetics Evaluation and Counseling Center
The West Virginia University Genetics Center is based at the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center at WVU in Morgantown, WV.
To serve West Virginia and surrounding areas by providing genetic services and to act as a resource agency for health professionals.
Who Would Benefit?
- Families of children with birth defects.
- Persons with questions about genetic or familial diseases.
- Couples with fertility problems such as repeated miscarriages.
- Individuals concerned about a family history of mental retardation.
- Anyone seeking information with regard to a genetic or possible genetic condition.
- Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment of birth defects and inherited conditions.
- Diagnosis, Treatment and Management of metabolic diseases-such as phenylketonuria (PKU), galactosemia and other metabolic diseases.
- Genetic Counseling for families with a diagnosed genetic disease.
- Cancer Genetics counseling and coordination of testing for familial cancer.
- Assessment of the cause, pattern and recurrence risk for disease conditions.
- Prenatal Diagnosis of birth defects, chromosomal abnormalities and genetic diseases early in pregnancy.
- Education of individuals and families about genetic conditions.
- Laboratory Analysis to establish or confirm genetic diagnoses.
- Comprehensive Follow-up with referrals to community agencies.
- Outreach Community Educational Programs regarding genetics.
Locations of Clinics:
- Morgantown [WVU Physician Office Center]
- Charleston [Women and Children's Hospital]
- Huntington [Marshall University - University Children's Medical Center]
- Parkersburg [St. Joseph's Hospital]
- Wheeling [Wheeling Hospital] 6. Martinsburg
- Martinsbury [Shenandoah Valley Medical Center]
- Beckley [Beckley Health Right]
The Medical Genetics Staff includes:
Marybeth Hummel, M.D.Director, Medical Geneticist with board certification in Clinical Genetics and Pediatrics
TC Narumanchi, M.D, Medical Geneticist
Jennie Wilkins, R.D., Dietitian
Holly Achee, M.S.W., Social Worker
Karen Murray, Administrative Staff
A variety of other specialists are available on a consultation basis.
Prenatal services are coordinated with Maternal-Fetal Medicine - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
For further information or an appointment at any clinic site, contact:
WV Genetics Center
Department of Pediatrics
Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center at WVU
Morgantown, WV 26506-9214
All insurances, Medicaid and Medicare are accepted. Any payment concerns or questions contact the Center.
West Virginia University
School of Medicine
West Virginia Bureau of Public Health
Office of Maternal & Child Health