Volunteer Information and Schedule
Volunteer readers in ROR programs transform clinic waiting rooms into literacy-rich areas for children and parents, and help families learn the joys and the techniques of reading aloud. Volunteers come from all walks of life but have two important traits in common: a love of books and stories, and a genuine interest in helping children.
Volunteers read to children, modeling book-sharing techniques for parents and showing them by example that reading aloud is fun for parent and child. Volunteers also support ROR by conducting book drives.
If you would like to volunteer, please contact Timothy Lefeber, MD at 304-293-6307 if you have any questions.
Reach Out and Read programs frequently use donated books. These guidelines were developed out of respect for families and in keeping with the philosophy of ROR – every child deserves good quality books.
The following general guidelines are suggested to help individuals who wish to donate gently used books to ROR sites, or for ROR programs wishing to adapt them as a part of a donated book policy statement. Each individual ROR program may have additional guidelines. Please contact your local ROR program to make arrangements for your donation.
- ROR programs accept donations of new, developmentally and culturally appropriate books.
- Used books must be gently used (covers and pages intact, clean and readable).
- Hardcover picture books with brightly colored pictures and interesting stories are ideal.
- ROR’s focus is on children between the ages of 6 months to 5 years, although books for older children may be accepted, depending on individual program needs.
- Books about sensitive issues like divorce, abuse or death cannot be accepted. If included, they will be discarded.
- Reach Out and Read programs have no book pick up service.
Book Drive to Benefit Reach Out and Read (ROAR)
Reach Out and Read (ROAR) is happy to accept donated books for children at:
Pediatrics and Adolescent Group Practice (PAGP)
2nd Floor, Physician Office Center
(Please drop off books at the Front Desk)
The Pediatric Education Office
4th Floor, HSC Room 4503
If you have any questions, please contact Timothy Lefeber M.D. at 304-293-6307