Why Choose WVU
- The 3-year pass rate on the National Physical Therapy Board Pass Rate is 96.4%, which is higher than the national average of 92%. See all program statistics on http://medicine.hsc.wvu.edu/pt/education/current-students/program-statistics/
- All graduates are successful in finding employment. Graduates practice in sports settings, private practice, hospitals, school system, long-term care, early intervention, and adult rehabilitation.
QUALIFIED FACULTY, DEDICATED TO STUDENT SUCCESS
- Our 11 full-time and 4 part-time core faculty members are dedicated to the highest possible physical therapy educational standards.
- 11 faculty members hold PhD/EdD degrees
- 7 faculty members are board certified clinical specialists or fellowship credentialed
- All full-time clinical core faculty are active in clinical practice, in areas including orthopedics, neurology, pediatrics, cardiovascular/pulmonary, hand therapy, home health, vestibular rehabilitation, and geriatrics.
- All faculty are active in scholarship, publishing their work in top journals, including:
- Physical Therapy Journal
- Journal of Orthopedics and Sports Physical Therapy
- Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal
- Journal of Allied Health
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Physical Therapy in Sport
- Journal of Perinatology
COURSEWORK DESIGNED FOR SUCCESS IN CURRENT AND FUTURE PRACTICE
- Extensive hands-on laboratory experiences, supervised by expert PT faculty, allow students to master patient care skills
- Focus on clinical sciences - including anatomy, kinesiology, neurobiology, pathology, radiology, pharmacology - necessary for effective clinical practice.
- Specific courses in orthopedics, neuromuscular rehab, geriatrics, pediatrics, and cardiovascular/pulmonary PT integrate clinical science knowledge with sound patient/client management skills.
- Evidence-based perspective - "Evidence-based" practice involves the delivery of patient care that is grounded in published research and thoughtful, analytic justification of treatment.
- Participation in research - all students participate in a research project with a faculty mentor.
- 32 weeks of full-time clinical education allow students to practice under the supervision of physical therapists in a variety of practice settings.
HISTORY OF SUSTAINED SUCCESS, HIGHLY QUALIFIED FACULTY, AND OUTSTANDING STUDENT OUTCOMES ARE THE HALLMARKS OF THE WVU PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAM
- Program established in 1970
- Continuously CAPTE Accredited
- Well over 1000 physical therapy graduates creates a strong network of alumni that serve as clinical instructors and employers
- Approximately 110-120 DPT students in three cohorts with an average class size of 40 students
- Student: Faculty Ratio of 10.6:1