Clinical Faculty Appointments
Types of Appointments
Clinical faculty are eligible for appointments to the School of Medicine for their role in clinical education of physical therapy students. Appointees are initially assigned a rank of Clinical Instructor or Clinical Assistant Professor, based on experience and qualifications.
Appointee Rights and Privileges
Clinical faculty are identified as a faculty member of the Division of Physical Therapy on all published faculty lists. Clinical faculty may receive, upon request:
- a WVU Privilege Card (ID). This card can be used for athletic facilities, such as the natatorium and racquetball courts at the coliseum, all library facilities, and discounts for events at the Creative Arts Center, athletic events, and movies at the Mountainlair;
- a username and password to access the electronic database resources of the WVU Libraries;
- the opportunity to participate on committees and task forces of the Division of Physical Therapy;
- the opportunity to attend Division of Physical Therapy and Health Sciences Center activities.
Criteria for Appointment
Appointees must have an unrestricted license to practice physical therapy, and must have a minimum of one year of clinical experience. Physical Therapists actively involved in the clinical education of WVU students who are also employed by the following clinical facilities are eligible for appointment:
- WV United Health System
- HealthSouth MountainView Rehabilitation Hospital
- Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC)
- HealthWorks Rehabilitation and Fitness
- Clinicians from other sites may be considered based on their involvement in clinical and/or classroom instruction.
APTA Clinical Instructor Credentialing, advanced degrees, and/or ABPTS specialty certification is recommended but not required.
Process for New Appointments
- Clinical instructors will receive a clinical faculty appointment application from Charmaine DuBois (email@example.com OR 304/293-0440)
- Clinical instructors should complete and submit all forms and supporting documentation to Ms. DuBois by regular mail at:
West Virginia University Department of Human Performance
Robert C. Byrd HSC, South
PO Box 9226, Room 8701
Morgantown, WV 26506-9226
- Once the application packet is complete, it is reviewed by the Academic Coordinators for Clinical Education, the Division Chairperson, and the Dean of the School of Medicine.
- Once the application packet is approved, the new appointee is assigned 700/800#, an e-mail, and a user name for library access. Char DuBois will provide the new appointees with their credentials. New appointees must go to myid.wvu.edu to activate MyID in order to gain access to the library and electronic journal.
Process for Reappointment
Continuation of appointments requires: 1) maintenance of the minimum qualifications, 2) participation in clinical supervision of physical therapy students for at least 1 full-time rotation per calendar year, and 3) return of annual reappointment forms to Char DuBois within the given time frame (mailed every October after the first year of appointment).