Letter from Program Director
Dear Residency Candidate,
Thank you for visiting the West Virginia University Radiology residency website. We are pleased you choose to learn what it is like to train as a radiology resident at West Virginia University, where core values defining our University include: Service, Curiosity, Respect, Accountability, and Appreciation. Based on the strength of our program and the quality of our facilities, our program was granted a permanent resident complement increase from 16 to 24 residents. Our faculty is also growing, in alignment with the growth in our facilities and the demand for our services. The combination of our close-knit educational community, research opportunities, dedicated inter-professional teams of caregivers, and local recreational and cultural attractions make WVU a great Radiology training program.
Why train in Diagnostic Radiology at West Virginia University?
- Dedicated program faculty focused mentoring learners for positive outcomes
- Growing academic health center enterprise, services in demand
- 645 bed modern tertiary referral hospital
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- AHA Gold level Stroke Center
- 40 ACGME accredited academic residencies and fellowships on campus
- Hospital designated among 27 “Most Wired-Advanced” facilities in country
- 6th in nation in accountability and quality of care (Vizient award in 2016)
- Only university based academic radiology residency program in WV
- Learn state-of-the-art imaging care in team-based setting
What sets us apart from other radiology residencies?
- Large volume and wide variety of cases encountered at a large and diverse tertiary referral academic medical center
- Intentional laddered mentoring and peer-to-peer teaching–learning community
- Big-city hospital amenities and education in manageable, safe, small college town setting
- Beautiful surroundings, outdoor activities
- Intellectual and cultural amenities of a large University in a safe, attractive small city
- Structured first year designed for effective pre-call preparation
- 100% ABR Core Exam pass rate 4 years and counting with a permanent emphasis on preparation which includes affording time and resources for residents to attend the AIRP review course in Washington DC during the Spring of 3rd year.
What successes might radiology residency at WVU hold in store?
- WVU residents regularly publish and present at national meetings
- WVU residents gain skills in pedagogy & consultation by teaching medical students and peers
- WVU residency grads secure competitive positions in academic fellowships
- WVU residency grads secure attractive University faculty positions
- WVU residency grads secure great private practice positions
We are proud of our training program. Trainees will have opportunity to learn skills, operate as a valued team member, and grow professionally in each of the following areas .
- clinical radiology
- medical education
- quality improvement
- information technology
- clinical or basic science research
Our residents enjoy integrating iPads and wireless access to resources into the residency experience. Finally, as a resident here, you are a part of the teaching-learning partnership of WVU School of Medicine, and you have access to all the resources for learning, teaching, and research that you would expect from West Virginia’s flagship medical school.
Please take a moment to look around the website to familiarize yourself with our program. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us or our residency program manager, Kelly Minardo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations on your choice of a career in Radiology. We feel that our program is a wonderful place to train for a career in Diagnostic Radiology, and we hope that you will agree.
Jeffery P. Hogg, MD, FACR
Professor and Program Director