Benefits to students
Completion of this curriculum will give medical students:
- An enhanced level of training in culinary and lifestyle medicine concepts. Many courses that students take while in medical school focus on disease states and their treatments. Moving forward, it is our hope that many chronic disease states can be prevented or reversed with proper lifestyle modifications. No matter the specialty that students may choose, we know that information learned in this curriculum will assist future physicians in caring for their patients.
- An opportunity to participate in interdisciplinary learning communities and see the interconnection of various health care professionals as participants in wellness.
- A chance to enjoy meeting with leaders from prospective future communities and participate in community research opportunities.
Benefits to West Virginia
We are dedicated to training students who will help West Virginians lead healthier lives. Much of West Virginia's population deal with chronic diseases that could be mitigated by healthy dietary habits, sleep, physical activity and mental wellness. By creating working relationships with healthcare professionals who value healthy habits, medical students and physicians will be able to assist West Virginians in improving their health in all aspects of their lives.
The Culinary and Lifestyle Medicine program aims to:
- Enable medical students to gain comfort in "prescribing wellness"
- Create physicians who recognize the value of self-care
- Offer students the opportunity to participate in community research and engagement