American Association of Neurological Surgeons Medical Student Chapter at West Virginia University (AANS Medical Student Chapter at WVU)
Article I – Name
The name of this organization shall be the AANS Medical Student Chapter at West Virginia University.
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be to foster professional growth and career development of members of the WVU AANS Medical Student Chapter who are interested in the field of neurosurgery by providing them with early support and leadership training in collaboration with the Department of Neurosurgery at West Virginia University. This organization will provide a forum for students to organize professional, educational, and research activities.
Article III – Compliance Clause
We agree to abide by all regulations, all University policies, in addition to all federal, state, and local laws.
Article IV – Non-Discrimination
This organization shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Article V – Membership
Membership shall be open to any currently enrolled student in the West Virginia University School of Medicine.
Article VI – Election of Officers
- The following officers shall be elected on a yearly basis – President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Special elections may be held at any time for vacancies that occur. In the event of medical student graduation or voluntary resignation, succession will occur as Vice President to President, Secretary to Vice President, Treasurer to Secretary and will remain valid until the next official election. In the event of succession, the President and Faculty Mentor may appoint the Treasurer from the chapter membership. The position of Treasurer and Secretary may be combined.
- An election shall be scheduled in the spring of each year to elect new officers by majority vote. Incumbent officers shall serve no more than one term in each office unless no other members are available to maintain leadership structure.
- Officers must be in good academic standing.
- Newly elected officers should assume office immediately following the meeting in which they are elected.
- Offer Removal: Officers elected to positions within their chapters will serve their full terms unless: 1) graduation occurs, 2) the position is resigned, or 3) the student leaves the medical school. A serving officer may be removed during a recall vote process with a 2/3--majority vote. A recall may be called for any reason but must be endorsed by the Faculty Mentor
Article VII – Executive Board
- All elected officers shall serve on the Executive Board.
- The duties of each officer shall be:
- President: the Chapter President will be responsible for convening each meeting in a manner consistent with procedures outlined in the most recent edition of the West Virginia University School of Medicine handbook. He/She, along with the chapter Secretary, will be responsible for the creation and submission of the “Annual Chapter Activity Report’ which may be uploaded to the AANS website. The chapter President may propose the formulation of new committees and may appoint committee chairs.
- Vice President: the Vice President will assist the President were requested and will assume the duties of the President in his/her absence. The Vice President will also be the chair of the chapter Journal Club Committee.
- Secretary: the Secretary will be responsible for maintaining chapter minutes and will assume the responsibilities of the Vice President in their absence. The Secretary will, in conjunction with the President, be responsible for the creation and submission, of the “Annual Chapter Activity Report”.
- Treasurer: the Treasures will be responsible for the collection and recording of chapter dues and will assume the responsibilities of the Secretary in his/her absence. The Treasurer will provide to the Secretary and President relevant chapter financial activity for the annual report.
- Faculty Mentor: the Faculty Mentor will give guidance and oversight to the chapter and its officers. They will be responsible for reporting to the AANS any concerns that cannot be resolved at a local level. Should there be a tie in any election or vote, they may cast the tie-breaking vote.
Article VIII – Removal of Officers
Officers elected to positions within their chapters will serve their full terms unless: 1) graduation occurs, 2) the position is resigned, 3) the students leaves the medical school. A serving officer may be removed during a recall vote process with a 2/3-majority vote. A recall may be called for any reason but must be endorsed by the Faculty Mentor.
Article IX – Committees
- AANS Medical Student Chapters will have one standing committee, the Journal Club Committee, which will automatically be chaired by the chapter Vice president and will:
- Meet frequently
- Meet to discuss relevant neurosurgery literature
- Be coordinated in conjunction with and mentored by the chapter Faculty Mentor
- There will be no limit to the type and responsibilities of committees created within individual chapters. Committees may be created and chaired ad hoc at the discretion of the Chapter President.
Article X – Amendments to the Constitution
- Any member of the organization may present amendments to the Constitution at any regularly scheduled business meeting. After reading the current Constitution along with the proposed change, the change will be voted on. A four-fifths majority is necessary to pass the amendment Two-thirds of the active membership must be present at the time of voting.
- Amendments to the Constitution must be submitted to and approved by the Coordinator for Student Organizations before they become effective.
- Divine Nwafor - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christopher Ferari - email@example.com
Treasurer and Secretary
- Richard Nolan - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Robert Marsh - email@example.com
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.