Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group (CTSIG)
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (also known as cardiothoracic surgery) is the field of medicine involved in the surgical treatment of all the organs residing in the thorax such as the heart, great vessels, lungs, and esophagus. The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group (CTSIG) serves to provide insight, academic enrichment, and guidance for students considering a career in the field of cardiothoracic surgery.
The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group aims to:
- Introduce students to the field of cardiothoracic surgery and its many aspects/issues through monthly meetings and cardiothoracic surgery clinician speakers.
- Provide guidance to students on how to pursue a career in cardiothoracic surgery and make themselves the best candidates possible for residency/fellowship.
- Facilitate lasting professional relationships between students and cardiothoracic surgery residents, fellows, attending clinicians, and faculty.
- Provide hands-on extracurricular academic enrichment by introducing students to various clinical skills and surgical techniques relevant to the field of cardiothoracic surgery through simulation lab sessions and clinical skills workshops.
- Encourage interested students to observe operating room procedures and become involved with cardiothoracic surgery faculty at the WVU Heart and Vascular Institute.
- The CTSIG will try to meet monthly and host cardiothoracic surgery clinician lecturers to speak to students about the field of cardiothoracic surgery, issues/aspects relative to the field, the path to residency/fellowship, and some of the exciting work taking place here at the WVU Heart and Vascular Institute to advance the field of cardiothoracic surgery.
- Throughout the year, the CTSIG will host workshops and simulation lab sessions, providing a unique opportunity for students to learn and perform hands-on skills and techniques from Cardiothoracic surgery clinicians and faculty relevant to the field of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery.
- Membership is open to all medical students currently enrolled at the West Virginia University School of Medicine.
- The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group will meet approximately monthly, to the best of its ability, during the school year from September to April (and possibly more at the discretion of the officer board and availability of guest clinicians)
- The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group will be governed by a medical student board of officers consisting of a president/student organizer, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. Elections will be held at the end of each year in which members of the CTSIG will vote to determine the positions of the officer board.
- The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Interest Group will work closely under the supervision of a faculty sponsor in the Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery.
President and Student Organizer
- Daniel Sprando – firstname.lastname@example.org
MD Candidate, Class of 2019
- Aaron Kessler - email@example.com
- Bayan Razzaq - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alex Battin - email@example.com
- Chris Cook, MD – firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.