HSC Student Garden Club
Description of Goals, Purpose, and Activities
The goal of the HSC Student Garden club is to create and maintain a community vegetable garden on the grounds of the WVU HSC campus.
ARTICLE I - ORGANIZATION
The name of this organization shall be: HSC Student Garden.
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
The purpose of the HSC Student Garden is to create and maintain a community vegetable garden on the grounds of the WVU HSC campus. In so doing, the organization intends to fulfill several secondary goals:
- To enhance student knowledge about practices relating to vegetable gardening in particular, and healthy nutrition in general.
- To provide frequent relaxing activities in and around the garden space, and thereby promote student wellness.
- To provide a setting in which students from the various HSC academic programs can interact informally and thereby build ties between the programs’ students.
- To collaborate, when possible, with WVU academic programs and local gardening related organizations, or providing service for not-for-profit groups.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Official membership in the organization is open to any current student enrolled in one of the departments within the WVU Health Sciences Center. Participation at gardening events is further open to all WVU students or staff.
Section 2: “Active” membership shall include all official members who have attended at least two meetings or activities hosted by the Garden in the past 12 months, per records kept by the Secretary.
Section 3: This organization will not deny membership on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, color, or national origin.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
Section 1. The offices comprising the Executive Committee of this organization shall be: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary.
Section 2. Additionally, up to one officer may be appointed from each of the HSC academic programs which has students participating in the Garden. These positions will be entitled “Board Member” of the respective program.
Section 3. The duties of each executive officer shall be:
- The President shall preside at meetings; be the spokesperson for the HSC Student Garden both within and outside the university community; and serve as chairman of the Executive Committee.
- The Vice President shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee; serve as acting President if the President is unavailable at meetings or events, or in the event of the resignation or removal of the President
- The Treasurer shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee and have primary responsibility for all financial matters relating to the HSC Student Garden. Expenditures will be recorded by the treasurer and reported to the WVU Department of Student Services.
- The Secretary shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee; shall have primary responsibility for disseminating meeting information; shall keep record of the organized activities hosted by the Garden and the attendance at those.
- If an Executive Committee member relinquishes their position or is removed, the remaining Executive & Board officers will collaborate to hold an prompt election to replace the position. This may be conducted electronically or at the next meeting, with voting available to Active members of the Garden.
Section 4. To hold an office in the HSC Student Garden a student must be in good academic standing.
ARTICLE V - REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
Section 1. Any member may make a motion for the removal of any officer providing that evidence is presented to support the removal. Grounds for removal include the inadequate fulfillment of duties or the violation of regulations described in University policies, or any federal, state, or local laws.
- A majority vote from student members is required to remove an officer.
- The motion for removal must be submitted to and approved by the Faculty Advisors before becoming effective.
- An election for a new officer may be conducted electronically or at the next meeting, with voting available to Active members of the Garden.
ARTICLE VI - SPECIAL WVU REQUIREMENTS
We agree to abide by all West Virginia University, School of Medicine as well as all West Virginia University policies, in addition to all federal, state, and local laws. We agree to communicate all required information to the West Virginia University Department of Student Services as requested.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
Section 1. Organizational Meetings will be held at a minimum of once per semester.
Section 2. Working Meetings will occur as frequently as needed to maintain the tending & harvesting needs of the garden space.
Section 3. Meeting information will be distributed electronically.
ARTICLE VIII - PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Section 1. Parliamentary Authority will follow The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.
ARTICLE IX. AMENDMENTS (Methods)
Section 1. An amendment proposed by a member will be passed after acquiring three-quarters of the votes of the organization’s active members.
Our 2019 - 2020 officers and advisor are as follows:
- Hannah Bowles - email@example.com
- Katie Quillen - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mia Antinone - email@example.com
- Savannah Lusk - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Martha Summers - email@example.com
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.