West Virginia Medical Spanish Association
There is a growing number of people from Spanish speaking countries immigrating to the United States and seeking healthcare every year. An important part of practicing medicine is creating a lasting bond with those you treat. Healthcare professionals find themselves increasingly challenged to bridge this communication barrier. The Medical Spanish Association of West Virginia University School of Medicine was created in order to serve the interests of health care professional students at West Virginia University's Professional Schools who desire to learn and apply the Spanish language to their medical careers.
The goals of the WVU School of Medicine Medical Spanish Association are as follows:
- To facilitate the learning and teaching of the Spanish language.
- To provide an opportunity for students to speak in the Spanish language, both with other students in the class and with mock patients of Hispanic background.
- The Medical Spanish Association is a non-profit, volunteer-run student organization at the West Virginia University School of Medicine. Any student enrolled in any of the health care professional schools including dentistry, nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, pharmacy, and medicine at West Virginia University are eligible for enrollment. All health care professionals currently employed by West Virginia University are also eligible to participate.
- The Medical Spanish Association will be governed by a selected body of professional students that consist of two coordinators. Officers will be decided based on interest and recommendation by the faculty advisor. A treasurer, secretary and professional school representative will be nominated by the students and faculty advisor.
- While the Medical Spanish Association is run by students, they will work closely with a faculty advisor involved in International Health.
- The class will be taught by a person who is fluent in the Spanish language and preferably by one who has experience in the health care field.
A Little More About Us
Founded in the fall of 2005 the Medical Spanish Association strives to find opportunities for students to further their Spanish Language interests. Starting in 2007 the Medical Spanish class has been divided into beginner and advanced classes. This way those who have little or no experience will focus on basic language acquisition and those with experience may further expand their Spanish vocabulary to one that works better in a medical setting. In addition to our classroom oriented experiences we are very keen to connect with Morgantown's burgeoning Hispanic Community.
2016 - 2017 Officers
Olivia Casas Diaz - firstname.lastname@example.org
Catalina Saenz - email@example.com
Victoria Zambito - firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Niemann - email@example.com
Pharmacy Student Representative
Jared Rock - firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Fisher, MD - email@example.com
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.