Advanced Cardiac Imaging Fellowship
The goal of the West Virginia University Advanced Cardiac Imaging Fellowship is to provide the trainee with the organizational structure and educational experience to fulfill and achieve Level 3 competency requirements in echocardiography (the highest level of expertise in the field). In essence, this level confers the ability to move beyond the independent performance and interpretation of echocardiography and become a “diplomate of echocardiography”. The various modalities of echocardiography include trans-thoracic, trans- esophageal and stress (exercise, dobutamine) echocardiography. The goals and objectives of the training program are set according to recommendations for training in adult echocardiography endorsed by the Canadian Society of Echocardiography.
Advanced Cardiac Imaging Fellowship Educational Responsibilities
The teaching and supervisory work during the trainee’s fellowship will cover three aspects of clinical echocardiography: (1) image acquisition, (2) image interpretation, and (3) study reporting.
The major sites for clinical activities at the flagship location of West Virginia University Hospitals, Ruby Memorial Hospital, a 524 bed tertiary referral center, which is home to the state of the art WVU Heart and Vascular Institute located inside the 10 floor South East Tower multi-million dollar expansion project.
Faculty and Fellows
The Cardiology faculty and fellows represent a very accessible resource in clinical medicine, teaching, scientific knowledge and basic and applied research. Currently, there are 25 full time faculty within the Division of Cardiology at the WVU School of Medicine.
Selection Criteria and Application Process for Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Applicants
- To be eligible for selection, applicants must apply via email to email@example.com
- Our institution does NOT sponsor H-1B Visas; we sponsor ONLY J-1 Visas, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All applicants must have three letters of recommendation.
- All applicants must be a graduate of an ACGME accredited internal medicine residency program.
- If you are a foreign medical graduate, you must have a current, valid certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) AND have or be eligible for a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in West Virginia.
- The selection process stringently evaluates performance on the USMLE, grades in pre-clinical or clinical courses, and letters of recommendation, communication skills, and personal qualities.
- We do not have a minimum score requirement for the USMLE.
- The program does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- We will be accepting application up until August 15th, 2019.
- Interviews will be conducted in Fall of 2019 for a 2020 appointment.
Goals and Objectives of the Fellowship Program
The specific objectives of the cardiology fellowship is to provide expansive training and experience in each of the following areas over three years:
- Clinical cardiology
- Stress Testing & Imaging
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Clinical Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Research