Obesity Medicine Fellowship
The Obesity Medicine Fellowship is a one-year fellowship that accepts one fellow each year. The selected fellow will be assigned to a minimum of 50% clinical care duties in obesity medicine and will be sponsored to attend one obesity medicine conference. As part of the fellowship, the fellow will be required to give at least four local educational presentations on obesity medicine to residents, medical students, or other healthcare teams.
The fellow will plan and carry out a scholarly project (such as publication in a peer-reviewed journal, oral presentation, or poster at a national or regional conference). Along with mandatory attendance at scheduled team meetings, case conferences, journal clubs, and quality meetings, the fellow will be encouraged to participate in local or national advocacy efforts to enhance obesity treatment and to improve the culture of health and wellness.
The obesity medicine fellowship provides the majority of its training through direct clinical care provided in WVU Medicine’s Medical and Surgical Weight Loss Center’s Medical Weight Management clinic. The obesity medicine program’s mission is helping individuals and families improve health, lose weight, and make permanent lifestyle changes using a scientiﬁc approach. Our vision is to prevent and treat obesity and improve the culture of health and wellness throughout West Virginia.
Educational Objectives of Obesity Medicine Fellowship:
- Acquire practical knowledge in nutrition.
- Develop skills in behavior change counseling.
- Develop skills in prescribing pharmacotherapy for treatment of obesity.
- Gain experience in outpatient treatment of obesity.
- Develop skills for pre-op and post-op management of bariatric surgery patients.
- Develop confidence in prescribing diabetes medications in patients with obesity.
- Develop skills in managing weight regain in bariatric surgery patients.
- Gain experience managing obesity in the pediatric population.
- Gain experience in lifestyle and culinary medicine.
- Develop skills in determining body composition through various methodologies.
- Develop skills in prescribing an individualized exercise prescription.
- Gain experience in obesity-related comorbid conditions.
- Gain experience in treating obesity in a rural population.