Department of Medicine
Section of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Message from the Section Chief
The Section of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine (PCCSM) is proud to be part of a premier medical Institution serving the State of West Virginia and surrounding communities. The Section has a long tradition of playing a vital role in the lung health of the community. In addition to being pioneers in pneumoconiosis (black lung disease), our team of excellent clinician educators and scientists have established niche programs to address the major pulmonary and sleep disorders including Interstitial lung disorders, Advanced COPD, pulmonary hypertension, lung cancer, adult cystic fibrosis program, a multi-disciplinary sleep disorders center and a novel hospital sleep medicine program. Our section is also at the front lines of leading the fight against COVID-19 pandemic with advanced ICU care and cutting edge research.
Our faculty collaborate with wide range of experts to not only deliver the best possible clinical care to our patients but also conduct research in advancing lung and sleep science. Our collaborations include scientists at NIOSH, Department of Physiology, Center of Inhalation toxicology, WVCTSI, Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute and Critical Care and Trauma Institute (CCTI) among others. We are equally committed to exploring and mitigating rural lung and sleep health disparities and improving delivery of care to the Appalachian region.
Our fellowship training program continues to expand with the addition of Sleep Medicine fellowship this year. Our trainees are exposed to full range of critical care medicine in our 28 bed “state of the art” Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), ambulatory specialty programs, mandatory involvement in research and quality improvement projects and simulation training at our advanced STEPS center (Simulation training and education for patient safety).
- To provide highest level of care to our patients with critical illness, lung and sleep disorders in the most compassionate, cost effective and innovative way possible.
- To promote collaboration with allied specialties in creating clinical care pathways and research to better understand, prevent, detect and manage respiratory disorders
- To provide a supportive and healthy learning environment which promotes inquiry and innovation for our trainees to be outstanding clinicians, researchers and leaders.
To transform care of respiratory medicine by:
- Unwavering focus on prevention, education and early detection of respiratory diseases and combating advanced respiratory and sleep disease states through niche programs
- Provide expanded access to respiratory health care through innovative means to eliminate health care disparity
- Produce not only outstanding clinicians, researchers but leaders in pulmonary and sleep medicine
- Create a center of excellence in collaborative research in respiratory disorders, including public and private sector partnerships for a healthier community and region
I welcome you to explore our website to learn more about our team and our programs!!
Sunil Sharma, M.D.
Section Chief, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine