Elizabeth Engler-Chiurazzi, PhD
PO Box 9303
108 Biomedical Road
Morgantown, WV 26506
The research focus of Engler-Chiurazzi laboratory is to investigate how the central nervous and immune systems converge to impact brain function and health in the context of cognitive aging, brain injury and affective/mood disorders. To explore these complex interactions and identify/develop novel therapeutic targets or interventions to ease the burden of human disease, we employ a variety of techniques including the assessment of functional outcomes following experimental manipulations in a wide variety of behavioral domains (affective, cognitive, nociception, sensori/locomotion, substance use/abuse, etc) combined with subsequent evaluations of the neurophysiological and molecular biological correlates that underlie these behaviors. These efforts center around assessing immunological underpinnings of:
- Age-related Cognitive Decline
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Post-stroke Depression
- Nwafor DC, Chakraborty S, Brichacek AL, Jun S, Gambill CA, Wang W, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Dakhlallah D, Pinkerton AB, Millán JL, Benkovic SA, Brown CM. (2019). Loss of tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphatase (TNAP) enzyme activity in cerebral microvessels is coupled to persistent neuroinflammation and behavioral deficits in late sepsis. Brain Behav Immun. 2020 Feb;84:115-131.
- Ren X, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Russell AE, SN Sarkar, SL Rellick, S Lewis, D Corbin, J Clapper, JW Simpkins. (2019). MiR-34a and stroke: Assessment of non-modifiable biological risk factors in cerebral ischemia. Neurochem Int. 2019;127:73–79.
- Quintana DD, Garcia JA, Sarkar SN, S Jun, EB Engler-Chiurazzi, AE Russell, JZ Cavendish, JW Simpkins. (2019). Hypoxia-reoxygenation of primary astrocytes results in a redistribution of mitochondrial size and mitophagy. Mitochondrion. 2019;47:244–255.
- Sarkar SN, Russell AE, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Porter KN, Simpkins JW. (2019). MicroRNAs and the Genetic Nexus of Brain Aging, Neuroinflammation, Neurodegeneration, and Brain Trauma. Aging Dis. 2019 Apr 1;10(2):329-352.
- Cavendish JZ, Sarkar SN, Colantonio MA, Quintana DD, Ahmed N, White BA, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Simpkins JW. (2019). Mitochondrial Movement and Number Deficits in Embryonic Cortical Neurons from 3xTg-AD Mice. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;70(1):139-151.
- Sarkar S, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Cavendish JZ, Povroznik JM, Russell AE, Quintana DD, Mathers PH, Simpkins JW. (2019). Over-expression of miR-34a induces rapid cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease-like pathology. Brain Res. 2019 Oct 15;1721:146327.
- Ozga JE, Povroznik JM, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Vonder Haar C. (2018) Executive (dys)function after traumatic brain injury: special considerations for behavioral pharmacology. Behav Pharmacol. 29(7):617-637
- Povroznik JM, Ozga JE, Vonder Haar C, Engler-Chiurazzi EB. (2018) Executive (dys)function after stroke: special considerations for behavioral pharmacology. Behav Pharmacol. 29(7):638-653.
- Quintana DD, Ren X, Hu H, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Rellick SL, Lewis SE, Povroznik JM, Simpkins JW, Alvi M. (2018) Gradual common carotid artery occlusion as a novel model for cerebrovascular Hypoperfusion. Metab Brain Dis. 33(6):2039-2044
- Ren X, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Russell AE, Sarkar SN, Rellick SL, Lewis S, Corbin D, Clapper J, Simpkins JW. (2018) MiR-34a and stroke: Assessment of non-modifiable biological risk factors in cerebral ischemia. Neurochem Int. pii: S0197-0186(18)30460-1
- Sarkar SN, Russell AE, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Porter KN, and Simpkins JW (2018). MicroRNAs and the Genetic Nexus of Brain Aging, Neuroinflammation, Neurodegeneration, and Brain Trauma. Aging and Disease 9(6)
- Povroznik JM, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Nanavati T, Pergami P. (2018) Absolute lymphocyte and neutrophil counts in neonatal ischemic brain injury. SAGE Open Med. 19;6:2050312117752613
- Povroznik JP, Faith RE, Kesler MK, Ali F, Kosik J, Prince S, Engler-Chiurazzi EB (2017). Locomotor effects of a low-frequency fire alarm on C57BL/6 male mice. Lab Anim, 51(6): 647-651.
- Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Brown CM, Povroznik JM, Simpkins JW (2017). Estrogens as neuroprotectants: Estrogenic actions in the context of cognitive and aging brain injury. Prog Neurobiol, 157:188-211
- Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Covey DF, Simpkins JW (2017). A novel mechanism of non-feminizing estrogens in neuroprotection. Exp Gerontol, 94:99-102
- Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Singh M, Simpkins JW (2016). From the 90’s to now: A brief historical perspective on more than two decades of estrogen neuroprotection. Brain Res, 1633:96-100
- Qian M, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Lewis Se, Rath NP, Simpkins JW, Covey DF. (2016). Structure-activity studies of non-steroid analogues structurally-related to neuroprotective estrogens. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 14(41): 9790-9805
- Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Stapleton PA, Stalnaker JJ, Ren X, Hu H, Nurkiewicz TR, McBride CR, Yi J, Engels K, Simpkins JW (2016). Impacts of prenatal nanomaterial exposure on male adult Sprague-Dawley rat behavior and cognition. J Toxicol Environ Health A, 79(11):447-52
- Doll DN, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Lewis SE, Hu H, Kerr AE, Ren X, Simpkins JW (2015). Lipopolysaccharide exacerbates infarct size and results in worsened post-stroke behavioral outcomes. Behav Brain Funct, 11(1):32
- Weitzner DS, Engler-Chiurazzi EB, Kotilinek LA, Ashe KH, Reed MN (2015). Morris Water Maze Test: Optimization for mouse strain and testing environment. J Vis Exp, (100):e52706