HanTing "Hunter" Zhang, MD, PhD
PO Box 9303
64 Medical Center Drive
Morgantown, WV 26506
My major research interests focus on behavioral and cellular signaling mechanisms in treatment of neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric disorders.Specifically, I am interested in exploring the roles of cyclic nucleotide (cAMP/cGMP) signaling in the mediation of depression, anxiety, alcohol dependence, drug abuse, and memory loss associated with neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. Techniques include various animal behavioral tests (e.g., radial arm-maze, water-maze, passive avoidance, and object recognition for memory; DRL schedule, forced-swim, and tail-suspension for depression; elevated-plus maze, holeboard, and light-dark transition for anxiety; alcohol drinking behavior, self-administration, and righting reflex for alcohol and/or drug dependence), small animal surgeries for brain microinfusions, enzyme assays, immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, RNAi gene silencing (shRNAs, CRISPR-Cas9), optogenetics, etc. Our goals are to develop ideal treatments for neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric disorders, drug abuse and dependence and elucidate the mechanisms whereby intracellular signaling mediates these disorders.
- Liu L, Zheng J, Huang X‐F, et al. The neuroprotective and antidepressant‐like effects of Hcyb1, a novel selective PDE2 inhibitor. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2018;24:652–660. https://doi.org/10.1111/cns.12863
- Xu Y, Zhu N, Xu W, Ye H, Liu K, Wu F, Zhang M, Ding Y, Zhang C, Zhang HT, O’Donnell J and Pan J. Inhibition of phosphodiesterase-4 reverses Aβ-induced memory impairment by regulation of HPA axis related cAMP signaling. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience 2018, 10:204 1-11.
- Zhang C, Xu Y, Chowdhary A, Fox 3r D, Gurney ME, Zhang HT, Auerbach BD, Salvi RJ, Yang M, Li G and O’Donnell JM. Memory enhancing effects of BPN14770, an allosteric inhibitor of phosphodiesterase-4D, in wild-type and humanized mice. Neuropsychopharmacology 2018, 43: 2299 – 2309.
- Ying Xu, Naping Zhu, Wen Xu, et al. Inhibition of Phosphodiesterase-4 Reverses Ab-Induced Memory Impairment by Regulation of HPA Axis Related cAMP Signaling. 2018 https://doi.org/10.3389/fnagi.2018.00204
- Yu J, Yan Y, Gu Q, Kumar G, Yu H, Zhao Y, Liu C, Gao Y, Chai Z, Chumber J, Xiao B, Zhang G, Zhang HT, Jiang Y and Ma C. Fasudil in combination with bone marrow stromal cells (BMSCs) attenuates Alzheimer’s Disease-related changes through the regulation of the peripheral immune system. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience 2018, 10:216 1-11
- Liu L, Zheng J, Huang X, Zhu X, Ding S, Ke H, O’Donnell JM, Zhang HT, Song G, Xu Y. The neuroprotective and antidepressant-like effects of Hcyb1, a novel selective PDE2 inhibitor. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2018, 24:652–660.
- Huang X, Xiaokaiti Y, Yang J, Pan J, Lib Z, Luria V, Li Y, Song G, Zhu X, Zhang HT, O'Donnell JM, Xu Y. Inhibition of phosphodiesterase 2 reverses gp91phox oxidase-mediated depression- and anxiety-like behavior. Neuropharmacology 2018, 143: 176–185.
- Huang X, Jiang W, Liu L, Song F, Zhu X, Shi G, Ding S, Ke H, Wang W, O’Donnell JM, Zhang HT, Luo H, Wan Y, Song G, Xu Y. A novel PDE9 inhibitor WYQ-C36D ameliorates corticosterone-induced neurotoxicity and depression-like behaviors by cGMP-CREB-related signaling. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2018, 24:889–896.
- Feng X, Wang H, Ye M, Xu X, Xu Y, Yang W, Zhang HT, Song G, and Ke H. Identification of a PDE4-specific pocket for the design of selective inhibitors. Biochemistry 2018, 57:4518−4525.
- Gong MF, Wen RT, Xu Y, Pan JC, Fei N, Zhou YM, Xu JP, Liang JH, Zhang HT. Attenuation of ethanol abstinence-induced anxiety- and depressive-like behavior by the phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitor rolipram in rodents. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2017 Jul 27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28748375
- He Y, Pan S, He R, Xu M, Huang W, Song P, Huang J, Zhang HT, Hu Y. AAV9-mediated Cdk5 inhibitory peptide (CIP) reverses pathological changes and behavioral deficits in the Alzheimer’s disease model mice. FASEB J. 2017, 31:3383-3392. PMID: 28420695
- Liu X, Hao PD, Yang MF, Sun JY, Mao LL, Fan CD, Zhang ZY, Li DW, Yang XY, Sun BL, Zhang HT*. The phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitor roflumilast decreases ethanol consumption in C57BL/6J mice. Psychopharmacology. 2017, 234:2409-2419. PMID:28477089
- Zhang C, Xu Y, Zhang HT, Gurney M, and O’Donnell JM. Comparison of the pharmacological profiles of selective PDE4B and PDE4D inhibitors in the central nervous system. Sci Rep. 2017, 7:40115. PMID:28054669
- Nguyen L, Bohlen J, Stricker J, Zhang HT, and Pistilli EE. Hippocampus-specific deficiency of IL-15Rα contributes to greater anxiety-like behaviors in transgenic mice. Metab Brain Dis. 2017, 32:297-302. PMID: 27837366
- Hu WW, Hou XQ, Liao RJ, Zhang HT. Advances in targets of pharmacotherapy and discovery of new drugs for Alzheimer disease: Do we have any other strategies? Chin J Pharmacol Toxicol, 2017, in press
- Liu X, Zhang QQ, Wang SX, Zhang WX, Zhang HT*. Factors affecting establishment of rodent alcohol drinking models and recent advances. Chin J Pharmacol Toxicol, 2017, 31: 311-318
- Hou X, Wang L, Wang F, Zhao X, Zhang HT*. Combination of RNA interference and stem cells for treatment of central nervous system diseases. Genes, 2017, May 6; 8(5). PMID: 28481269; PMCID: PMC5448009
- Zhang HT, Xu Y, O’Donnell JM, eds. Phosphodiesterases: CNS Functions and Diseases. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, USA. October 2017. 471 pages
- Hansen RT III, Zhang HT*. The Past, Present, and Future of Phosphodiesterase-4 modulation for age-induced memory loss. Adv Neurobiol. 2017, 17:169-199. PMID: 28956333. In: Zhang HT, Xu Y, O’Donnell JM, eds. Phosphodiesterases: CNS Functions and Diseases. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 2017, pp169-199.
- Zhang C, Leuptow L,Zhang HT, O’Donnell JM, Xu Y. The role of Phosphodiesterase-2 in Psychiatric and Neurodegenerative Disorders. Adv Neurobiol. 2017, 17:307-347. PMID:28956338. In: Zhang HT, Xu Y, O’Donnell JM, eds. Phosphodiesterases: CNS Functions and Diseases. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 2017, pp307-347.
- Wen RT, Liang JH, Zhang HT*. Targeting Phosphodiesterases in Pharmacotherapy for Substance Dependence. Adv Neurobiol. 2017, 17:413-444. PMID: 28956341. In: Zhang HT, Xu Y, O’Donnell JM, eds. Phosphodiesterases: CNS Functions and Diseases. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 2017, pp413-444.
- Wang H, Zhang HT*. Therapeutic drugs for neurodegenerative diseases. In: Shen XC, et al. eds. Pharmacology. Science Publishing, Beijing, China, 2017, in press.