Hawley Montgomery-Downs, PhD
PO Box 6040
53 Campus Drive
Morgantown, WV 26506
Dr. Montgomery-Downs conducts research on sleep and sleep disorders and directs the Sleep Research Laboratory. Her current research focus is on the effects of infant feeding methods on development of pediatric sleep-disordered breathing, the impact of postpartum sleep deprivation and fragmentation on maternal functioning, and the long-term maternal recovery from early postpartum sleep disturbance.
- Pediatric Sleep-Disordered Breathing
- Sleep and Development
- Postpartum Sleep Disturbance
- Sleep Methodology
- Alamir YA, Zullig KJ, Wen S, Montgomery-Downs HE, Kristjansson AL, Misra R, Zhang J (2017). Association between nonmedical use of prescription drugs and sleep quality in a large college student sample. Behav Sleep Med, Nov 13:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]
- LeBourgeois MK, Hale L, Chang AM, Akacem LD, Montgomery-Downs HE, Buxton OM (2017). Digital media and sleep in childhood and adolescence. Pediatrics, 140(Suppl 2):S92-S96. PMCID: PMC5658795
- McBean AL, Kinsey SG, Montgomery-Downs HE (2016).Effects of a single night of postpartum sleep on childless women's daytime functioning. Physiol Behav, 156: 137-47. PMCID: PMC5719495
- McBean AL, Montgomery-Downs HE (2015). What are postpartum women doing while the rest of the world is asleep? J Sleep Res, 24:270-280.
- McBean AL, Montgomery-Downs HE (2015). Diurnal fatigue patterns, sleep timing, and mental health outcomes among healthy postpartum women. Biol Res Nurs, 17:29-39.
- Meltzer LJ, Hiruma LS, Avis K, Montgomery-Downs H, Valentin J (2015). Comparison of a commercial accelerometer with polysonography and actigraphy in children and adolescents. Sleep, 38:1323-1330. PMCID: PMC4507738
- Insana SP, Foley KP, Montgomery-Downs HE, Kolko DJ, McNeil CB. Children Exposed to Intimate Partner Violence Demonstrate Disturbed Sleep and Impaired Functional Outcomes. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy
- Insana SP, Garfield CF, Montgomery-Downs HE (2014). A mixed-method examination of maternal and paternal nocturnal caregiving. J Pediatr Health Care,28:313-321. PMCID: PMC3939069
- Thomas RJ, Mietus JE, Peng CK, Guo D, Gozal D,Montgomery-Downs H, Gottlieb DJ, Wang CY, Goldberger AL (2014). Relationship between delta power and the electrocardiogram-derived cardiopulmonary (CPC) spectrogram: Possible implications for assessing the “effectiveness” of sleep . Sleep Med,15:125-131. PMCID: PMC4114218