Victor Finomore Jr., PhD
Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
Physiological Measurement and Assessment
As the director of the Human Performance and Applied Neuroscience (HPAN) research center Dr. Finomore is focused on cutting-edge research related to real-time neurophysiological assessment of cognitive processes across diverse populations (Athletes, Military, Patients and the general Population termed AMP2) to implement individualize augmentation for optimized brain health, human performance, recovery, and resilience. The integration of state-of-the-art sensors and experimental procedures with machine learning based analytics provide greater insight into specific brain mechanism and the selection of augmentations specifically for individuals across AMP2. The HPAN carries out basis and applied research efforts in laboratory setting as well as “in the wild”. Cognitive testing is focused on measurements of information processing such as workload, stress, fatigue, attention, and decision-making. As well as multisensory integration and perceptual-motor tasks.
- Haring KS, Satterfield KM, Tossell CC, de Visser EJ, Lyons JR, Mancuso VF, Finomore VS, Funke GJ. (2021). Robot Authority in Human-Robot Teaming: Effects of Human-Likeness and Physical Embodiment on Compliance. Front Psychol. 12:625713.
- Mahoney JJ, Haut MW, Hodder SL, Zheng W, Lander LR, Berry JH, Farmer DL, Marton JL, Ranjan M, Brandmeir NJ, Finomore VS, Hensley JL, Aklin WM, Wang GJ, Tomasi D, Shokri-Kojori E, Rezai AR. (2021). Deep brain stimulation of the nucleus accumbens/ventral capsule for severe and intractable opioid and benzodiazepine use disorder. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 29(2):210-215.
- D'Haese PF, Finomore V, Lesnik D, Kornhauser L, Schaefer T, Konrad PE, Hodder S, Marsh C, Rezai AR. (2021). Prediction of viral symptoms using wearable technology and artificial intelligence: A pilot study in healthcare workers. PLoS One. 16(10):e0257997.
- Stone JD, Ulman HK, Tran K, Thompson AG, Halter MD, Ramadan JH, Stephenson M, Finomore VS Jr, Galster SM, Rezai AR, Hagen JA. (2021). Assessing the Accuracy of Popular Commercial Technologies That Measure Resting Heart Rate and Heart Rate Variability. Front Sports Act Living. 3:585870.
- NL Tenhundfeld, EJ de Visser, AJ Ries, VS Finomore, CC Tossell. (2020). Trust and distrust of automated parking in a Tesla Model X. Human factors. 62(2):194-210.
- Stone JD, Rentz LE, Forsey J, Ramadan J, Markwald RR, Finomore VS, Galster SM, Rezai A, Hagen JA. (2020). Evaluations of Commercial Sleep Technologies for Objective Monitoring During Routine Sleeping Conditions. Nat Sci Sleep. 12:821-842.
- K Satterfield, VS Finomore, V Mancuso, J Lyons, E Visser, K Haring, S Pruznick, A Mosley, G Funke. (2019). Robot knows best? A comparison of compliance with human and robotic coaches. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. 63(1), 406-407.
- NL Tenhundfeld, EJ de Visser, KS Haring, AJ Ries, VS Finomore, CC Tossell. (2019). Calibrating Trust in Automation Through Familiarity With the Autoparking Feature of a Tesla Model X. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making 13 (4), 279-294.
- MB Dillard, JS Warm, GJ Funke, WT Nelson, VS Finomore, CK McClernon, FT Eggemeier, LD Tripp, ME Funke. (2019). Vigilance tasks: Unpleasant, mentally demanding, and stressful even when time flies. Human factors 61 (2), 225-242.
- MT Tolston, MA Riley, V Mancuso, V Finomore, GJ Funke. (2019). Beyond frequency counts: Novel conceptual recurrence analysis metrics to index semantic coordination in team communications. Behavior research methods 51 (1), 342-360.
- TH Shaw, AE Harwood, K Satterfield, VS Finomore. (2019). Transcranial Doppler Sonography in Neuroergonomics. Neuroergonomics, 35-42.
- L Hirshfield, P Bobko, AJ Barelka, MR Costa, GJ Funke, VF Mancuso, VS Finomore, BA Knott. (2019). The Role of Human Operators' Suspicion in the Detection of Cyber Attacks. Cyber Law, Privacy, and Security: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications 1482-1499.
- Haring KS, Watanabe K, Velonaki M, Tossell CC, Finomore VS (2018). FFAB: the form function attribution bias in human robot interactions. IEEE Transaction on Cognitive and Developmental Systems. Special issues on a sense of interaction in humans and robots: from visual perception to social cognition.
- Tenhundfeld N, De Visser E, Tossell C, Finomore V. (2018). Evaluating and Modeling Human-Machine Teaming and Trust in Automation while on the Road. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 12.
- JS Warm, G Matthews, VS Finomore (2018). Vigilance, workload, and stress. Performance under stress, 131-158.
- Tolston MT, Finomore V, Funke GJ, Mancuso V, Brown R, Menke L, Riley MA (2017). Effects of Biasing Information on the Conceptual Structure of Team Communications. Advances in Neuroergonomics and Cognitive Engineering (pp. 433-445). Springer International Publishing.
- JJ Do, Kerstin S Haring, Victor S Finomore, DA Bugado, JA Dysico. (2017). Military leadership in artificial domains. Technology and Leadership International Perspectives 73-93.
- Funke GJ, Warm JS, Baldwin CL, Garcia A, Funke ME, Dillard MB, Finomore VS, Matthews G, Greenlee ET (2016). The independence and interdependence of coacting observers in regard to performance efficiency, workload, and stress in a vigilance task. Human Factors, 58, 915-926.
- Greenlee ET, Funke GJ, Warm JS, Sawyer BD, Finomore VS, Mancuso VF, ... Matthews G (2016). Stress and Workload Profiles of Network Analysis: Not All Tasks Are Created Equal. In Advances in Human Factors in Cybersecurity (pp. 153-166). Springer International Publishing.
- Sawyer BD, Finomore VS, Funke G, Warm JS, Matthews G, Hancock PA (2016). Cyber vigilance: the human factor. American Intelligence Journal, 32(2), 157-165.
- Hirshfield L, Bobko P, Barelka AJ, Costa MR, Funke GJ, Mancuso VF, Finomore V, Knott BA (2015). The Role of Human Operators' Suspicion in the Detection of Cyber Attacks. International Journal of Cyber Warfare and Terrorism (IJCWT), 5, 28-44
- Warm JS, Finomore VS, Vidulich MA, Funke ME (2015). Vigilance: a perceptual challenge. In J. Szalma, M. Scerbo, P. Hancock, R. Parasuraman, R. Hoffman (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Applied Perception Research (241-283). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Sawyer B, Finomore V, Calvo A, Hancock P (2014). Google Glass: A Driving distraction cause or cure. Human Factors, 56,1307-1321.
- Matthews G, Warm JS, Shaw TH, Finomore VS (2014). Predicting battlefield vigilance: A multivariate approach to assessment of attentional resources. Ergonomics, 57, 856-875.
- Shaw TH, Satterfield K, Ramirez R, Finomore VS (2013). Using cerebral hemovelocity to measure workload during a spatialized auditory vigilance task in novice and experienced observers. Ergonomics, 56, 1251-1263.
- Finomore VS, Matthews G, Shaw TH, Warm JS. (2009). Predicting vigilance: A fresh look at an old problem. Ergonomics, 52, 791-808.
- Warm JS, Matthews G, Finomore VS (2008). Vigilance, workload, and stress. In P.A. Hancock & J.L. Szalma (Eds.), Performance under stress. (pp. 115-141). Aldershot, UK: Ashgate.