Application for this rotation is through Dr. Melanie Fisher. Copies of your passport and travel insurance will be required. Be sure that your passport is valid more than 6 months after the departure date.
Travel will be to the small rural Shyira District Hospital in the Nyabihu district of Rwanda. The goals of this rotation are to participate in direct patient care in the rural district hospital; learn about the development and growth of the Rwanda health system (including blood delivery to remote hospitals by drone); assist in the building capacity and enhancement of skills of local health providers; and gain better understanding of Rwanda health system and Shyira hospital particularly maternity care, neonatal care, mental health services, community health, and surgical services.
- Maternity and Neonatology/Pediatrics - 1 week
- Internal Medicine and Surgery Wards - 1 week
- Night Call - 1 week
- Community Outreach, Health Education and Public Health - 1 week
- Special activities
- Weekly Global Health Grand Rounds with WVU and Global Offsite Care
- Teaching of Helping Babies Breathe, Helping Mothers Survive (Postpartum Hemorrhage, Preeclampsia), Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics, and/or Early Male Infant Circumcision
- Telemedicine consults
- Mental Health evaluations
- Point of Care Ultrasound
- Community Health Center experience
- Assess readiness for implementation of WHO Global Initiative for Emergency and Essential Surgery Care