WV AHEC Rural Community Health Scholars (RCH Scholars) is a two-year program available to 75 of West Virginia’s top health professions students interested in rural health care. RCH Scholars focuses on interprofessional education through clinical, didactic, and community-based lenses, and emphasizes how each Scholar can create change and reshape the status quo for health care in his or her community.
Throughout this program, Scholars will engage in clinical, didactic, and community-based activities in rural and underserved areas of WV to refine their skill sets and positively impact the lives of West Virginians.
As a Scholar, students will:
- Become leaders in their professions and communities
- Receive supplemental training and education from experts in rural healthcare
- Develop an astute understanding of how to best implement health care services in rural or underserved areas
- Learn how to work as part of an interprofessional team
- Provide meaningful patient care in the field and gain hands-on experience
- Receive a stipend of $1,300
Health professions students in the following areas are eligible to apply: Dentistry, Dental Hygiene, Exercise Physiology, Health Informatics and Information Management, Medicine (Osteopathic, Family, OBGYN, etc.), Nurse Practitioner, Nursing, Nutrition/Dietetics, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, Public/Population Health Programs, and more (contact us if you do not see your discipline listed – you may still be eligible to participate!).
Application deadline is October 15, 2019.