The Division of Sports Medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise. The goal of sports medicine is to help people engage in exercise safely and effectively in order to perform their daily activities and achieve their training goals
We have three board-certified emergency medicine physicians who are also boarded in sports medicine. Additionally, our faculty and fellows are embedded within WVU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, giving our fellows and faculty the opportunity to practice sports medicine within the realm of a Power 5 athletic department.
Mission and Goals
- Meet or exceed all ACGME requirements for the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship training, as referenced in the ACGME Common Program Requirements for Primary Care Sports Medicine.
- Provide a comprehensive and thorough Primary Care Sports Medicine clinical experience that will allow the fellow to be a competent PCSM provider.
- Provide a comprehensive and thorough experience in Event Medicine through various event coverage opportunities.
- Provide a comprehensive and thorough didactic education on the specialty of Primary Care Sports Medicine that will include current hot topics as well as those topics felt to be the foundation of the specialty.
- Embrace the process of life-long learning through guided experiences in scholarship and proper evaluation of literature.
- Associate Professor, Chief, Division of Sports Medicine, Emergency Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Assistant Residency Director, Emergency Medicine