Christian Medical & Dental Association West Virginia University Chapter
The Christian Medical and Dental Association is a group of Christian health profession students committed to serving God, building themselves and others in their faith, witnessing to others, and the encouragement of fellow students at West Virginia University.
CMDA at WVU is an interdenominational group of Christian students and faculty who come together for the purpose of spiritual growth and encouragement. As a worldwide organization, CMDA seeks to motivate and equip doctors, dentists, and other health professional students to practice faith in Christ in their personal and professional lives. Our meetings at WVU are open to all members of the health care professions, including students and professionals in the fields of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, occupational and physical therapy, nursing, etc.
2020-2021 Leadership and Contact Information
Dr. Dana King
- Evan Abbey
- Cassie Bebout
CMDA usually meets every other Monday at 12:00 PM for fellowship and lunch with the main purpose of uplifting the people that attend and maintaining the students' faith in Christ during the trying times that are encountered during Medical, Dental, or any other professional school offered at WVU. (This has been altered to a Zoom meeting format every few weeks for the 2020-2021 school year). CMDA also has guest speakers, such as local doctors and spiritual leaders, who discuss relevant topics for our daily lives.
Other days, CMDA meets for a Bible study and fellowship. These meetings are usually held at a home of one of our members or at the HSC. These meetings are generally more discussion oriented and are a good time for growth, fellowship and Christian fun. (These events are adjusted to a physical distanced format for the 2020-2021 school year).
The Christian Medical & Dental Associations' mission is to motivate, educate, and equip Christian physicians and dentists to glorify God by:
- living out the character of Christ in their homes, practices, communities and around the world;
- pursuing professional competence and Christ-like compassion in their daily work;
- influencing their families, colleagues, and patients toward a right relationship with Jesus Christ;
- advancing Biblical principles in bioethics and health to the Church and society.
Transforming tens of thousands of doctors to change their world as they:
- bring people to Christ
- raise up the next generation of Christian health care providers
- sacrificially serve those in need
- integrate their faith into their practice
- speak out as the trusted voice on bioethics to our culture
Our Core Values
We strive to fulfill our mission by our commitment to be:
- Controlled by the Holy Spirit
- Committed to Scripture
- Communing in Prayer
- Culturally Relevant
Our Statement of Faith
- In the divine inspiration, integrity, and final authority of the Bible as the Word of God.
- In the unique Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- In the representative and substitutionary sacrificial death of our Lord Jesus Christ as the necessary atonement for our sins.
- In the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the work of regeneration.
- In the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, and the blessed hope, His personal return.
- In the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
For more information on National CMDA events and conferences, please visit their website.
Follow the link to view CMDA Bylaws for this chapter.
Note: While student organizations are permitted to maintain a website on West Virginia University's server, this website does not constitute official West Virginia University content. This page is developed and maintained by a student organization, and is not approved or endorsed by, affiliated with, or supported by the University. The University does not screen or control the content on this page and thus does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of it. The views expressed here are strictly those of the page authors. Questions or comments on the contents of this page should be directed to the applicable student organization.