Walk With A Future Doc at WVU SOM
Goals and purpose:
Walk with a Future Doc is an international non-profit organization that inspires communities through movement and conversation. As a student organization, Walk with a Future Doc at WVU SOM will allow WVU SOM students to meet with members of the community on a monthly basis for a brief address about health-related issues, blood pressure screenings, and healthy snacks. Each walk will last about one hour, and locations may include the Rail Trail, around Milan Puskar Football Stadium, the downtown business district, and other indoor facilities. Participants will be encouraged to walk with medical students and new friends to promote physical activity and community relationships. We will work with practicing physicians to encourage them to attend and publicize the events to their patients.
ARTICLE I - ORGANIZATION
The name of the organization shall be: Walk with a Future Doc at WVU SOM
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
The purpose of Walk with a Future Doc at WVU SOM is
- To promote healthy lifestyles through physical activity and education on pertinent healthcare topics.
- To engage with community members and further understand the healthcare needs of Morgantown
- To allow students at WVU SOM to professionally develop their communication skills with participants, peers, and practicing physicians
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1. Official membership in the organization is open to any current student enrolled in the WVU School of Medicine.
- Section 2. "Active" membership shall include all official members who have signed up under our listserv and attended monthly walks.
- Section 3. The organization shall not deny membership on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, color.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
- Section 1. The offices comprising the Executive Committee of this organization shall be: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Members of the Executive Committee can create and remove officer positions as the need arises.
- Section 2. The duties of the officers shall be:
- The President shall organize the time, date, and topic of each monthly walk. He/she will communicate with student volunteers.
- The Vice President shall assist the president in their duties and will preside over monthly walks in the President's absence. Additional duties of the Vice President include publicizing events to the community, tracking attendance, and gathering supplies.
- The Secretary shall maintain the Constitution and Bylaws, develop a schedule of events, secure a location for the monthly walks, and maintain internal communication for the organization. The Secretary will serve as acting President if the presiding President and Vice President are unavailable/resigned from the position.
- The Treasurer will handle all financial responsibilities of the organization. In the event of the resignation or removal of the President, Vice President, and Secretary, the Treasurer will serve as acting President and will hold immediate officer elections.
- Section 3. To hold an elected, or appointed office in this organization, a member must be passing and be in good academic standing at the time of election or appointment, and must be a full-time student. Furthermore, the member may not be on academic or disciplinary probation.
ARTICLE VI - SPECIAL WVU REQUIREMENTS
We agree to abide by all West Virginia University, School of Medicine as well as all West Virginia University policies, in addition to all federal, state, and local laws. We agree to communicate all required information to the West Virginia University Department of Student Services as requested.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
Walks will be scheduled to occur once a month throughout the year. Walks will last for one hour, and volunteers will receive community service hours for contributions of their time. Organization meetings will also be scheduled throughout the year to recruit and educate student volunteers. The Executive Committee may decide to add additional meetings where they see fit, or cancel potentially scheduled meetings given reasonable notice.
OFFICERS 2020 – 2021
President – Mia Antinone - email@example.com
Vice President – Lauren Bauer - firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary – Megan Cavrak - email@example.com
Treasurer – Mia Antinone - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Haggerty - email@example.com
Dr. Phillips - firstname.lastname@example.org