LOCATION: Chestnut Ridge Hospital of the WVU Hospitals, Inc., - Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Cheryl Hill, MD, PhD
DURATION: 4 weeks minimum
OFFERED: Continuously (Not offered in Block 1 or 2)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
- To enhance the comfort of working with psychiatric patients.
- To learn diagnostic criteria of psychiatric disorders.
- To become acquainted with inpatient treatment and modalities.
- To learn how to treat and monitor treatment process.
- To learn how to plan after-care follow-up.
- To become acquainted with the integration of various health professionals (psychiatry, psychology, nursing, pharmacology, social work, education specialty, art therapy, and recreation therapy).
Methods to Achieve Objectives
The student will --
- Be assigned to the adult psychiatry unit and share the responsibilities with the residents.
- Perform as a team member and be supervised by a psychiatry attending.
- Attend morning rounds, groups, diagnostic conferences, treatment and planning sessions, didactic lectures, and grand rounds.
- Observe group therapy and family therapy sessions.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Daily observation and critique of student's:
- Ability to develop a compassionate relationship with patients.
- Medical knowledge specifically related to psychiatric diagnoses and treatment and mental status
- Interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of the broader system of mental health care, including options for community
- Ability to educate patients and families about diagnosis and treatment.
Contact Ms. Debbie Robinson two weeks prior to rotation start date. firstname.lastname@example.org / (304) 293 - 3105
On the first day of the rotation, report to Dr. Cheryl Hill at Chestnut Ridge Hospital at 9:00 a.m. email@example.com