LOCATION: Physician Office Center (POC), Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Pamela Murray, MD, MPH
DURATION: 2 weeks minimum
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
Students will be introduced to the spectrum of problems that affect adolescent patients through experiences in outpatient settings including:
- Normal pubertal growth and development and the associated physiologic, anatomic, and behavioral changes;
- Preventive screening, health promotion, disease prevention, and anticipatory guidance;
- Management of common outpatient problems: sport injuries, rehabilitation and preparation;
- Gynecologic examinations and reproductive health, including contraception, STD's, pregnancy related issues, and sex education;
- Psychosocial issues such as school performance, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, eating disorders, suicide, and peer and family relations;
- Evaluation and management of obesity and common comorbidities.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Collaborative patient care in Adolescent Medicine clinics including PAGP, Sports Medicine, and Adolescent Gynecology.
- Attendance and participation in relevant conferences.
- Participation in health education, public health and prevention activities as interests or opportunities arise.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Daily direct observation.