Systems Based Practice
Residents must demonstrate an awareness and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care and the ability to call on system resources to provide pathology services that are of optimal value.
- Residents are expected to discuss how management patterns affect health care decisions for patients and the health care system.
- Explain types of medical practice and delivery systems differ from one another, including methods of controlling health care costs and allocating resources
- Practice cost-effective health care and resource allocation that does not compromise quality of care, understanding the need for and cost of special studies, extended testing, and send-out testing.
- As senior residents attend the CP QA committee meetings to understand how to partner with the administrative and technical staff to assess, coordinate, and improve health care and know how these activities can affect system performance
- Residents may also inspect sections of a laboratory during a CAP inspection.
- Conduct a mock CAP inspection of the WVUH laboratories using the most recent version of the “Laboratory General” checklist.
- 360o Global evaluation