Consultant to Other Physicians
Residents have the responsibility, under faculty supervision, of discussing the interpretive consultative reports and frozen sections with appropriate members of the clinical/surgical teams. Through their discussions with the clinical team members, the residents have the opportunity to directly impact patient care. Other departments on the WVUH campus, with ACGME approved post graduate training programs include, but are not limited to the following: Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Orthopedic Surgery, Pediatrics, Radiology, Surgery, and Urology.
During the rotation the residents are exposed to laboratory correlation studies. These will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Correlation of fine needle aspiration studies with subsequent surgical pathology specimens.
- Correlation of cervical Pap test findings with cervical biopsies.
- Correlation of ancillary studies with histology in the work-up of lymphomas and hematologic disorders.
- Correlation of liver function tests with liver biopsies.
- Correlation of X-rays with bone tumor specimens.