Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of the pathology residency experience are to prepare and enable residents to:
- Demonstrate competency in the work-up and diagnosis of anatomic and clinical pathology specimens in order to effectively practice pathology independently.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors in all situations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to reviewing and improving practice patterns and to life-long learning.
- Demonstrate the concepts associated with the scientific basis of pathology, the ability to utilize the medical literature and the ability to utilize modern techniques to provide optimum patient care and to contribute to the education of their clinical colleagues.
- Communicate effectively in verbal and written form with clinical colleagues, administrative personnel, technical personnel, and clerical personnel and demonstrate respectful and caring behaviors when interacting with patients and their families.
- Discuss the policies and regulations affecting health care (i.e., CAP laboratory accreditation, HIPAA, compliance with Medicare and billing regulations, etc.).