Visiting Student Program
West Virginia University School of Medicine is using VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting on May 1, 2018. To apply to our institution, please complete and send a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. VSAS is only available for use by students enrolled in a U.S. LCME accredited school or a VSAS participating COCA accredited AACOM member college. For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas.
For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact:
Ms. Christina Politte
Ms. Charissa Davis
Ms. Jane Horst
International students interested in an elective rotation at WVU must apply to the Global Health Office a minimum of 4 months prior to the start of the proposed elective rotation.
Please note that international medical students must be in their final year of education. Applicants who already have an MD or equivalent degree are not eligible for this program.
- be in good academic and professional standing, must be approved by their medical school for the elective and must provide a letter to that effect from their Dean.
- provide completed health forms with proof of required immunizations. All titer results must be provided as copies of lab reports. Physician documentation as positive or negative alone will not suffice.
- provide proof of health insurance coverage for the time period of the elective at WVU as described below.
- provide proof of malpractice insurance. Coverage must extend for the entire period of the elective rotation at WVU.
- complete the HIPAA and OSHA training modules as well as respiratory fit testing no later than the first week of the scheduled rotation.
- students must have demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English. Evidence of proficiency must supplied by TOEFL exam, TOEFL waiver, or a letter from the Dean. Decisions regarding sufficient proficiency to participate in the elective rotation rest with WVU.
- provide a photograph and a copy of their passport showing photo, passport expiration date, and passport number.
- provide all necessary information for review by export control officer to ensure compliance with applicable federal regulations.
Please note that all documents must be supplied in English. For more information on electives for international medical students, please contact the Global Health Office at firstname.lastname@example.org .