A bachelor's degree in any science including (but not limited to) pre-professional biology, chemistry, medical technology, histology, forensic sciences and nursing is acceptable to apply to the program.
Instructions for Online Application
- Fill out all general information as instructed.
- Upload the personal statement under the heading “statement of purpose.” There are no specific requirements for the program.
- The shadowing statement should be uploaded under the “writing sample” since there is no specific area for this requirement.
- The signed essential functions form can be uploaded with the shadowing statement as one document.
- Upload a CV or resume.
- 2 letters of recommendation are required (not 4).
- The program DOES NOT REQUIRE A PHOTO ID.
- Unofficial transcripts can be sent initially; however, the university must receive the official transcripts before an applicant can be accepted.
- 8 SH Biology with lab
- 8 SH College Chemistry with lab
- 3-4 SH Organic Chemistry or 3-4 SH of Biochemistry (for WVU students Chem 231 fulfills this pre-requisite)
- 3-4 SH Microbiology, Immunology, Parasitology, or equivalent
- 3 SH College Algebra or higher
- 3 SH English Composition or comparable
- Applicants must have a "C" or better in all pre-requisite courses
Recommended coursework includes Medical Terminology and Human Anatomy & Physiology.
Grade Point Average
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 required.
Two letters of recommendation are required. The recommendations can come from:
- Faculty in the pre-requisite course
- Laboratory professional with whom the applicant has worked
- Current employer
- Professional peer
An interview will be granted to those deemed qualified to attend the program based on the standards for admission and review of the submitted application packet.
On the day of the interview, the applicant will have 10-15 minutes to write a short essay response to a general question and take a short spatial relationship quiz. The applicant will then be interviewed by a panel consisting of members of the admissions committee.
Applicants will have the opportunity to tour the facilities and ask questions in a relaxed forum.
Shadowing or Work Experience
At WVU, we believe that you should have a good overview of a pathologists' assistant career before you spend thousands of dollars and hours of effort in a rigorous program. We require job shadowing with a practicing pathologists' assistant, or have applicable work experience in surgical or autopsy pathology.
A statement regarding this experience is required in the application packet. There are no set number of hours in which applicants need to shadow. We ask that you gain enough knowledge so that you can indicate to us in written form on your application, and verbally (if invited for an interview), about your shadowing experience and the duties of a PA in a "normal" working day in surgical pathology.
To shadow at WVU: Visit the WVU Medicine shadowing page and complete the steps. Indicate "Pathology for Pathologists' Assistant Program" on the program application.
What is the objective of surgical shadowing?
We want you to be able to tell us what a certified pathologists’ assistant does in a “normal” working day. Keep in mind that there is no “normal” working day for a certified PA and that is one of the good things about our career! No day is the same and it is always challenging. When you shadow, discuss with your mentor what their regular duties are and what is expected of them on a daily basis. Be able to share that with us at your interview.
U.S. & Canada Only. If you are taking pre-requisite courses during the time period in which you are applying to the PA program (January 2–May 31), the course must be completed by May 31 of the application period. Immediately upon completion of the semester, please contact admissions at your current institution to have your final transcript mailed to:
WVU Graduate Admissions
PO BOX 6510
One Waterfront Place
Morgantown, WV 26506-6510
All application materials, including final transcripts, must be received by May 31 of the application period.
Please note that we do not require a GRE score for consideration for acceptance into the program.