LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Dr. Sop
DURATION: 4 weeks preferred by Department/ 2 weeks - You will be given a schedule through e-mail on the New innovations system. You will be assigned to work at all three hospitals - Any shift is possible (DAY OR NIGHT)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: VARIOUS
Working under the direct supervision of the Emergency Department attending Physician, the student will:
- Be exposed to a wide variety of medical, surgical, gynecologic, and pediatric emergencies;
- Develop techniques and skills in the diagnosis and treatment of emergency room patients;
- Develop management skills in the rapid assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of a variety of illnesses.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- The medical student will be part of a team approach to emergency conditions;
- He/she will be assigned to 2-3 specific attending physicians to:
- Increase familiarity with approach to patients and medical illnesses,
- To allow some variety in approaches to patient presentations,
- To provide ongoing feedback based on cumulative interaction;
- The student will rotate through the three emergency departments at CAMC:
- GENERAL HOSPITAL: Specializing in the care of traumatic injuries, both minor (e.g. lacerations, fractures), and major (e.g., MVA, assault),
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL: Specializing in the care of cardiac emergencies,
- WOMEN'S AND CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL: Specializing in the care of children and women with obstetrics and gynecological emergencies,
- NB: For those students with a special interest, consideration will be given to rotations through a specific division for focused patient exposure;
- The role of the student will progress as their skill level and confidence do;
- Opportunities exist for clinical research and presentation experience.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
When applying for this rotation please give a correct e-mail address so a packet can be mailed to you, including call schedule and an Emergency Medicine Text Book. One week prior to the beginning of the rotation, contact Stephanie Mason 304-388-7071 Stephanie.email@example.com All visiting students must report to the office of student services to meet with Charissa Davis @ 9:15 AM on the first day of this rotation.