Advanced Cardiac Imaging Fellowship
The Advanced Cardiac Imaging Fellowship program is a one year multi-modality imaging fellowship at the West Virginia University Heart & Vascular Institute. The program offers training in a variety of imaging modalities including advanced echocardiography, cardiac CT, cardiac MRI, nuclear cardiology/PET imaging and structural heart imaging. The program offers clinical training with a strong research focus. A comprehensive didactic curriculum is delivered by a multi-disciplinary team of experienced academic imaging cardiologists, pediatric cardiologists, radiologists and technologists. Training is tailored to the imaging modalities that are aligned with individual fellow’s clinical and research interests.
Areas of Focus in Imaging
There are several imaging modalities that candidates are able to gain experience and expertise, including advanced echocardiography, nuclear cardiology (PET), structural heart imaging, cardiac CT and Cardiac MRI . For the one year imaging fellowship, candidates are strongly encouraged to focus on a clinical theme of imaging. Multi-modality research projects are strongly encouraged. Formal training in research is available through the center for innovation for interested candidates.
Following are the suggested areas of focus for one year fellowship.
- Coronary artery disease and Perfusion: Anatomy – Focus on Cardiac CT/CT-FFR (Cath – IVUS and OCT) and physiology/ischemia – (Stress echo/nuclear/stress MRI- Cardiac MRI- Infarction)
- Heart Failure and Arrhythmia: with focus on Echocardiography and Cardiac MRI and CT.
- Structural heart disease with focus Advanced Echocardiography (structural heart TEE/3DE) and Cardiac CT.
The major sites for clinical activities at the flagship location of West Virginia University Hospitals, Ruby Memorial Hospital, a 645 bed tertiary referral center, which is home to the state of the art WVU Heart and Vascular Institute located inside the 10 floor South East Tower multi-million dollar expansion project.
Faculty and Fellows
The imaging fellows will gain a rich and varied experience, under the guidance of a multi-disciplinary team of experienced academic imaging cardiologists, pediatric cardiologists and radiologists. The imaging fellows will work closely with fellows from general cardiology fellowship. Currently there are 18 general cardiology fellows and 40 full time faculty within the Division of Cardiology at the WVU School of Medicine. The Cardiology faculty and fellows represent a very accessible resource in clinical medicine, teaching, scientific knowledge and basic and applied research.
Selection Criteria and Application Process for Cardiac Imaging Fellowship Applicants
The fellowship is a one year training program in cardiac imaging and imaging research. Strong preference is given to candidates who have finished a clinical cardiology fellowship. There are currently two positions available per year. This is a non ACGME accredited fellowship approved by West Virginia University’s Office of Graduate Medical Education
- To be eligible for selection, applicants must apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our institution does NOT sponsor H-1B Visas; we sponsor ONLY J-1 Visas, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All applicants must have three letters of recommendation.
- All applicants must be a graduate of an ACGME accredited Internal Medicine residency program.
- If you are a foreign medical graduate, you must have a current, valid certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) AND have or be eligible for a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in West Virginia.
- The selection process stringently evaluates academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, communication skills, and personal qualities.
- The program does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- Positions for the 2024-2025 Academic Year have been filled.
Irfan Zeb, MD, FACC
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Advance Cardiac Imaging Fellowship
WVU Heart & Vascular Institute
Graduate Medical Education
Advanced Cardiology Fellowships
Advanced Cardiac Imaging
Advanced Interventional Cardiology
Advanced Structural Heart Disease
Advanced Heart Failure
Hear from current Mountaineers
Mountaineers know West Virginia University is special.
See cases you want to see, learn from mentors and contribute to your specialty through research. It’s all part of perfecting your skills as a clinician and advancing your career with our fellowship training.
We know that can be demanding, so as you train, we have programs, facilities and amenities to help sustain your growth, on and off the clock.