Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
ERAS will open for the 2025-2026 Academic Year in June 2024.
The purpose of the interventional cardiology training program is to prepare its trainees to function at a high level of clinical performance in interventional cardiology. This includes the development of appropriate clinical judgment in selecting patients for cardiac interventional procedures and a high level of technical skill in performing them.
Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Education Responsibilities
- To understand the effectiveness and limitations of coronary interventional procedures in order to select patients and procedure types appropriately.
- To achieve the appropriate cognitive knowledge and technical skills needed to perform interventional cardiac procedures at the level of quality attainable through the present state of the art.
- To foster an attitude of life-long learning and critical thinking skills needed to gain from experience and incorporate new developments.
- To understand and commit to quality assessment and improvement in procedure performance.
The major sites for clinical activities are the West Virginia University Hospitals, (Ruby Memorial Hospital), a 690 bed academic medical center and the Physician Office Center located next to Ruby Memorial.
Interventional Cardiology Conferences
- Interventional Cardiology Conference
- Cardiology Grand Rounds
- Clinical Case Conference
- Cardiology Grand Rounds
- Research Conference
- Journal Club
- Cardiology Staff Meeting
- Quality Assurance Meeting
Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Services
Trainees acquire requisite experience with the full range of clinical presentations and anatomic and pathologic characteristics of the disorders treated by interventional cardiology techniques. In addition, a requisite amount of case material is needed to support periodic clinical conferences and case discussions and to enable the program faculty to have sufficient clinical experience to maintain and further develop their skills. It is expected that over 900 interventional procedures will be performed annually. The Fellow will participate in at least 300 of these procedures.
Faculty and Fellows
The Cardiology faculty and fellows represent a very accessible resource in clinical medicine, teaching, scientific knowledge and basic and applied research. Currently, there are 25 full time faculty within the Division of Cardiology at the WVU School of Medicine.
Research Faculty & Staff
To be considered for a fellowship, please submit an application via ERAS.
To be eligible for selection, applicants must apply via the Electronic Residency Applicant Service.
Our institution does NOT sponsor H-1B Visas; we sponsor ONLY J-1 Visas, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All applicants must have three letters of recommendation.
- All applicants must be a graduate of an ACGME accredited US Internal Medicine Residency Program and Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship.
- If you are a foreign medical graduate, you must have a current, valid certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) AND have or be eligible for a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in West Virginia.
- The selection process stringently evaluates performance on the USMLE, grades in pre-clinical or clinical courses, and letters of recommendation, communication skills, and personal qualities.
- We do not have a minimum score requirement for the USMLE.
- The program does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- Applicants are accepted via ERAS.
- All standard positions for the 2024-2025 Academic Year have been FILLED.
- ***There is one outside funded position open for the 2024-2025 Academic Year***
Interventional Cardiology/Funded International (Institutional/Government Contracts Only)
Our institution has an agreement with the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM). To be considered for an interview for this track, please notify our Program Manager, Larissa DeWitt via email that you have submitted your application in ERAS and include your financial support letter.
Akram Kawsara, MD, FACC, FSCAI
Assistant Professor, WVU
Director, Structural Heart Program
Director, Interventional Fellowship Program
Graduate Medical Education
Advanced Cardiology Fellowships
Advanced Cardiac Imaging
Advanced Interventional Cardiology
Advanced Structural Heart Disease
Advanced Heart Failure
Hear from current Mountaineers
Mountaineers know West Virginia University is special.
See cases you want to see, learn from mentors and contribute to your specialty through research. It’s all part of perfecting your skills as a clinician and advancing your career with our fellowship training.
We know that can be demanding, so as you train, we have programs, facilities and amenities to help sustain your growth, on and off the clock.