INSPIRE THERAPY is an option for people with obstructive sleep apnea, who aren't able to use or benefit from CPAP, and is specified for the following patients:
- Adults 18 years of age or older
- Pediatric patients 13-18 years of age or older with Trisomy 21
- Have moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea
- Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) range from 15-65 for adults or 10-50 for pediatric patients with Trisomy 21, with <25% central apneas
- Free of complete concentric collapse at the palate
The procedure works inside the body with the patient's natural breathing process. The system is placed under the skin of the neck and chest through two small incisions. The procedure is typically outpatient and done under general anesthesia. Patients can return to normal activity and a regular diet, after the procedure.
The device is turned on by the patient with a remote. Once the patient falls asleep, the system syncs with breathing patterns and delivers mild stimulations to key muscles of the airway throughout the night to keep breathing passages open. Using a proprietary algorithm, Inspire Therapy continuously monitors the patient's breathing patterns and delivers mild hypoglossal nerve stimulation during inspiration.