Hematology and Medical Oncology
LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTORS: Drs. Steven Jubelirer, Arvind Shah, and Sue Warren
DURATION: 2 or 4 weeks
OFFERED: LIMTED TIME
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 2 students
To teach the student:
- Multidisciplinary care of patients with hematologic problems and cancer;
- Appreciation of pathophysiology of these disorders;
- Uses and toxicities of chemotherapeutic agents;
- Familiarity with peripheral and bone marrow morphology;
- Outpatient/Inpatient Dx and management of oncologic and hematologic problems.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Students have responsibility for the initial evaluation and management planning of in- patient consults and for presenting them to attending staff. Close follow-up on active patients is expected;
- Attendance at 1-3 outpatient clinic weekly;
- Instruction in and performance of bone marrow aspirations and biopsy procedures;
- Review of blood and marrow morphology with staff;
- Selected reading assignments and presentations.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
Contact preceptor prior to beginning of rotation.