LOCATION: Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, West Virginia
PRECEPTORS: Michael A. Istfan , MD
DURATION: 2 or 4 weeks
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
To expose students to clinical rheumatology.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
By preceptor training in clinic and private practice. The fourth-year medical student will:
- See patients daily in the office and clinic;
- Discuss management of the disease;
- Review laboratory and x-ray data and observe the workings of the office and laboratory;
- Observe arthrocentesis with examination of the synovial fluid (Ropes' test, cell count and crystals);
- See and present hospital consultations;
- Be assigned literature readings.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Available in the department.
Contact assigned preceptor prior to the beginning of the rotation.