Salary & Benefits
- PG 2 - $56,292
- PG 3 - $58,109
- PG 4 - $60,170
- PG 5 - $62,270
- Additional Information about Salaries and Benefits may be found at the WVU Graduate Medical Education site.
Licensure/ Step 3
As of July 2019, all residents and fellows in training programs sponsored by the West Virginia University School of Medicine must hold at all times during their training either a valid educational training permit or a valid unrestricted license by either the West Virginia Board of Medicine or the West Virginia Osteopathic Board of Medicine. Step 3 of the USMLE exam must be passed before the resident can be advanced to the PG-3 level of Radiology training.
All residents are required to be currently certified in both basic cardiac life support and advanced cardiac life support. Both courses are provided by WVU Hospitals.
Radiology Resident Benefits
- All residents have unlimited online subscription access to Stat Dx, RadPrimer, and E-Anatomy.
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Residents earn 2 vacation days per month for a total of 24 vacation days per year and one additional week at Christmas or New Years.
- Residents earn 1.5 sick days per month for a total of 18 days per year.
- Leave cannot be taken until it is earned.
- Vacation days not used [up to 24 days] will be paid upon departure from WVU
- Education Fund (aka Book allowance)
- PG2 (First 6 months)-$750
- PG5 (Last 6 months)-$750
to be used for books, dues, board fees, and review courses.
- Travel Reimbursement for research - up to $500 for registration and $500 travel (travel can be supplemented with book fund).
- iPad - provided at the start of residency. (represents income for IRS)
- Meal Allowance - Each resident is given a $500 meal card which is recharged every 6 months. These meal cards can be used at the various food and beverage areas throughout the hospital and HSC.
- AIRP - All PGY4 residents attend this 4 week course in preparation for the CORE Exam. All course fees are covered by the department. In addition, each resident is given a $3,000 living/travel stipend.
- Physics Review- PGY4 residents are given a stipend for the course along with paid time off to attend.
- All residents receive travel reimbursement for conferences at which research is presented.
- Clement A. Smith Radiology Library Classroom - This area has several new computers and is well used by 3rd year residents for quiet study space in the months prior to ABR Core exam.
- Resident Call Room - Located within the Radiology department and separate from the main hospital resident call area, this room contains a bed, TV, snack fridge and reading stations for WVUMedicine and the affiliated VA Hospital.
- SIM Lab - West Virginia Simulation Training and Education for Patient Safety (WV STEPS) contains multiple robotic mannequins which residents use frequently to practice procedures and scenarios including contrast reaction management..
- Free on-site Parking
- Hospital Wellness Center - Residents become members for a one-time fee of $10. The Wellness Center contains free weights, cable machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes, and also sponsors regularly scheduled activities like yoga, Zumba, and other group exercise activities for all age and fitness levels.
- Holidays - Official West Virginia University Hospital holidays include New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- Payroll - Residents are paid every two weeks. Direct deposit is available.
- Paid Health Insurance - Health insurance is available to all employees. Employees pay a portion of the premium cost. Employee may choose from PEIA's indemnity plan or one of several HMO plans. Premiums are pre-taxed.
- Supplemental Health Insurance - A supplemental health plan to PEIA is offered for coverage of expenses not fully paid by PEIA. The premium is paid by the employee.
- Paid Life Insurance - Each employee is offered $10,000 term life insurance at no cost. Additional coverage may be purchased for a monthly premium based on age and the principal sum selection. Dependent life insurance may also be purchased.
- Professional Liability Insurance - All residents are provided liability coverage by the State Board of Risk and Insurance Management. This is an occurrence leased coverage and provides one million dollars per occurrence with an aggregate of twenty two million dollars. This coverage applies to all activities within the scope of the residents assigned responsibilities.
- Retirement - Employees contribute 6% of their gross pay to the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA/CREF) Retirement Program. West Virginia University matches the employee's contribution with an equal amount. Employees may choose to place all or part of the retirement contributions in either TIAA (which invests bonds, mortgages and loans to business and industry) or seven CREF funds (Stock account, Money Market account, Bond Market account, Social Choice account, Global Equities account, CREF Growth account and CREF Equity Index account). Vesting is immediate and retirement may begin at any age upon termination of employment.
- Supplemental Retirement - In addition to the basic retirement plan, employees have the option of tax sheltering additional money through a supplemental retirement account.
- TIAA Disability Insurance - A long term disability plan providing a non taxable monthly income to age 65 in the event of total disability. The income is based on the employees salary and begins after 6 months of total disability.
- Mountaineer Flexible Benefit Plan - Four benefit plans are available on a pre tax basis:
- Medical Expenses Spending Account - enables employees to pay eligible uninsured medical expenses such as deductibles and co-payments tax free.
- Dependent Day Care Spending Account - enables employees to pay eligible dependent day care expenses tax free
- Dental Care - covers preventive dental care and more complex procedures.
- Vision Care - covers routine eye care including eye exams, lenses and frames
Additional WVU Benefits
- University library Privileges - the HSC library is located 200 feet from the Radiology department, residents have full access to this area.
- Access to the world famous WVU PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) System
- Athletic and Cultural Events - eligible to purchase season tickets at a reduced rate to athletic events. May purchase season or individual event tickets to cultural events at a reduced rate.
- University Club - $36/yr membership
- Recreation- may use during scheduled times the Shell Building (weight room gym, indoor and outdoor track), the Coliseum (racquetball, squash and tennis courts), Stansbury Hall (gym), Natatorium (pool). These facilities are also available to spouse and children. WVU also has a new $34 million, 179,000 square-foot Student Recreation Center located on the Evansdale campus. It sports two swimming pools --- one a 25-yard, six-lane lap pool; the other a leisure pool with warmer temperatures and a beach-style entry. The leisure pool also has two fitness lanes. Next to the leisure pool is a clover leaf-shaped whirlpool that seats about 20 people. Two gymnasiums - one with 4- courts; the other a 3-court gym.-are marked for basketball, volleyball and badminton competition. One major feature is the 17000 square feet of weight and fitness space on two levels. Free weights are located in the downstairs portion, while the upstairs is geared to aerobic equipment. The center's focal point is the 50-foot climbing wall off the main entrance corridor.
- Outdoor Recreation Center - Employees can rent ski equipment, tents, etc.
- Credit Union - services include checking, savings, Christmas Club, CD's and loans
- University Bookstores - employees receive discounts on most items except textbooks.
- WVU ID Card - Allows use of University facilities for you and your family. Spouse ID cards are available.