Charleston Homeless and Street Medicine (Project CHASM)
- Project CHASM (Charleston Homeless And Street Medicine) is a non-profit organization composed of multidisciplinary healthcare providers who seek to serve the medical needs of the homeless community in Charleston, WV.
- We are modeled after Project Safety Net in Pittsburgh, PA and MUSHROOM (Multidisciplinary Unsheltered Homeless Relief Outreach of Morgantown) in Morgantown, WV.
- Our organization unites medical, pharmaceutical, social work and other dedicated community volunteers on "street rounds". We go by foot to those places where we are needed most: along the Kanawha river, under bridges downtown, and in the local homeless shelters.
Setting out on foot, Project CHASM will strive to seek out the homeless, bridge gaps, & break down barriers to ensure that all members of our community have access to basic medical needs and are treated with the human dignity & respect that everyone deserves.
- Provide opportunity for doctors, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, students, & community allies to come together to fulfill our common ideals.
- Seek to become familiar faces - developing meaningful relationships with our patients & providing continuity of care
- Care for each individual in their entirety, providing not only medical needs, but also steps to a healthier lifestyle.
- Advocate shared decision-making, considering the opinions of our patients & molding each healthcare plan to fulfill their individual needs.
- Walk to where they live & meet them on their terms
- Treat each individual as a human being, with the dignity & respect that we each deserve.
- Provide care without discrimination, accepting people from all walks of life.
- Maintain a standard of healthcare that we ourselves would be happy to receive.
- Believe that those we serve have the ability to live their own lives & make their own decisions. We will remain fully open to them as they consider their actions.
- Provide care in a manner that is suitable to their individual situations
- Uphold a standard of conduct befitting those of our professions.
- Strive to make Charleston a healthier community.