LOCATION: Ruby Memorial Hospital of the WVU Hospitals, Inc., Morgantown, West Virginia
PRECEPTOR: Joshua Weir, MD
DURATION: 2-4 weeks
OFFERED: By arrangement with preceptor
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT: 1 student
The major objectives of this rotation are to acquaint the student with the basic concepts of the practice of oncology and radiation therapy. The clinical experience and required conferences will provide an introduction to:
- The clinical evaluation and staging of patients with cancer
- The role of radiotherapy in the management of patients with cancer
- The basic principles of radiation physics, radiobiology, and patient safety.
- The process of develping a treatment plan that incorporates the principles of tumor volume and normal tissue constraints.
- The implementation and verification of radiotherapy treatment plans.
- The importance of a multi-disciplinary approach to cancer management.
- Insight into the psycho-social issues facing patients with cancer.
Methods to Achieve Objectives
- Work with assigned physician in consults; follow up, and on treatment visits.
- Follow at least 1 new patient through process of consult, informed consent, simulation, treatment planning, and treatment verification.
- Attend weekly chart rounds Tuesdays from 8-9 am.
- Attend scheduled multidisciplinary conferences throughout the rotation.
- Work hours are 8:00 am – 4:00 pm unless otherwise scheduled. There is no call expectation for medical students.
- Students taking a 4 week elective will be expected to initiate and present a limited project or to prepare a 45 minute lecture on a contemporary radiation oncology topic. The topic must be selected and approved by the end of the first week.
Examination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Based on the integration of principles of medical education: patient care, medical knowledge, practice-based learning and improvement, interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism, and systems based practice.
Please contact Ms. Karen Van Druff two weeks prior to rotation start date. email@example.com