Pediatric Clinical Observer Program
The West Virginia University Department of Pediatrics Clinical Observer Program is a structured opportunity for international medical school graduates to observe clinical practice. Observers in the program will participate in daily teaching rounds, observation of patient care, discussion of patient care, and teaching conferences. Participants will not have direct patient care responsibilities.
This program is aimed at graduates of foreign medical schools who intend to apply for residency in the United States.
High school, undergraduate and medical school students will be considered shadowing students and need to complete a separate form. (Rotation Request for Pediatric Shadowing Students) The cycle dates and application deadlines listed below apply to shadowing students. Email completed form to email@example.com
- Completed Application for Pediatric Clinical Observer Program
- Completed Rotation Request Form
- Completed Visiting Non-Clinician Information and Release Form
- Completed Confidentiality and Security Agreement
- Proficient in English
- ECFMG Certification
- USMLE Transcript (Step I, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS scores)
- Medical School Transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from work in a clinical environment
Available Pediatric Rotations:
(Potential opportunities. Subject to change. Not all rotation opportunities are available at all times.)
- Critical Care
- General Pediatrics Inpatient
- General Pediatrics Outpatient
- Infectious Disease
Cycle 1: July-September 2018 (Application due by May 1, 2018. Notified by May 22, 2018.)
Cycle 2: October-December 2018 (Application due by July 15, 2018. Notified by August 15, 2018.)
Cycle 3: January-March 2019 (Application due by October 15, 2018. Notified by November 15, 2018.)
Cycle 4: April-June 2019 (Application due by February 15, 2019. Notified by March 15, 2019.)
Rotations are 2 week blocks
Maximum of 3 rotations (6 weeks) granted to any one applicant
$100 non-refundable application fee
$1000 tuition fee per 2 week rotation
Fees must be paid by certified check or money order made out to West Virginia University. Personal checks are not accepted.
- All costs associated with the process (travel, housing, meals, health clearance etc) are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
- Applicants may only contact the Pediatric Clinical Observer Program to ensure that dates are available prior to submitting application and non-refundable application fee.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their application is complete.
- Requests for final decisions before the expected notification date listed above will not be accommodated under any circumstances.
- The Pediatric Clinical Observer Program reserves the right to request additional information or verification of information. Applicants assume all costs associated with this process.
- The Pediatric Clinical Observer Program is unable to provide feedback to candidates who are not accepted into the program.
- Applications must be received by the Application Due Date listed above for the respective cycle requested.
- Working hours will vary based upon rotation.
- Tuition fees for the rotation will be refunded only if the program is notified within 30 days of the start of the rotation.
- Upon successful completion of the rotation, Pediatric Clinical Observer Program participants will receive a Certificate of Completion. West Virginia University Pediatric Faculty are not required to provide letters of recommendation or references for Pediatric Clinical Observer Program participants.
- The Pediatric Clinical Observer Program reserves the right to terminate a rotation when:
- Participant behavior jeopardizes the well- being of a patient
- Participant behavior is unprofessional
- Participant performance does not meet program objectives
West Virginia University School of Medicine
Department of Pediatrics
Clinical Observer Program
PO Box 9214
Morgantown, WV 26505